I can't recall if we've looked for these dots or not...and naturally, my collection is packed away.

I was listening to "Dixie Medley" today at lunch and marvelling at Mr. Eps facility with the jigs and reels. I know he recorded a wide variety of versions, some with "Suwanee River" done in tremelo fashion and some not.

Anyone have the dots to this ? I would like to see how it was arranged, esp. in comparison to today's methods. Would be a fun one to trot out in front of the bluegrassers, esp. since they all think they invented this stuff. ;-)

Views: 1292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be Frank B. Converse's 1865 "Banjo Instructor, With or Without a Master."

Jody Stecher said:
OK, I'll take the bait: what is Frankie B's "green" book?

deuceswilde said:
"My love Is But a Lassie" is called "Odd Fellows' March" (my personal favorite title) in Frankie B's "green" book.

Hey fellows. Been awhile since I've partook in any discussion here, and for that I appologize. Working for the railroad leaves me with very little time for anything non-railroad. I'm searching for tablature for Ossman's or Van Epps versions of Turkey in the Straw Medley, or Dixie Medley. And also maybe Old Folks at Home and Maple Leaf Rag. I've arranged my own versions in drop C tuning, but they just dont sound particularly right. I cannot read music notation, but I can read tab. If anybody has some tablature to trade, I have some very rare and difficult to find Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins tab I could share. Just let me know what songs you want. I know thats not classic banjo, but its very respectable gut string guitar fingerpicking! It is GOLD to some folks. Anyways....lets make a trade!

Thanks,

Dow

Welcome back, Dow!

I talked about having TAB for "Dixie Medley" back at the beginning of this ancient thread...so if I can find it, I'll post it here for you. Hopefully, this evening.

That'd sure be swell....would make my day for sure! What Jerry Reed tab can I get for ya?

Dow

Well, I found the TAB I did years ago...and it is incomplete. I dunno what happened, I must have gotten sidetracked onto something else and forgot about it.

Still, it is almost complete, just needs some cleaning up, fingering, etc. Should just take me an evening or two. I'll get right on it for you.

I actually have three versions of it, Van Eps published version, an 'altered' version with a "minor key" variation on Arkansas Traveller (from one of his recordings) and then a published version by Vess Ossman. They're each a bit different from each other. The 1st Van Eps version has a simplified version of Sailor's Hornpipe in it and two additional OT tunes that I can't ID. The version with the minor key section has a much more recognizable version of Sailor's Hornpipe. I haven't messed with the Ossman but I'm sure it has something different to say!

I'm not a guitarist (I can play simple OT and BG backup) so no need for the guitar tab. I have a standing offer here. If you want TAB (or notation), let me know. If I have it TABbed, I'll post a copy (or send it to you). If I don't, I'll put it in my queue and get to it as soon as I can. I have scores of Classic Banjo TAB and thousands of pieces of period banjo sheet music. Between the library here on Classic-Banjo, the ABF library and my own, I daresay we can keep you busy for a couple of lifetimes. ;-)

If you read sheet music, we could drown you right now. ;-)

So, there is the Ossman/Essex "Dixie Medley,"  that does not have "Sailor's Hornpipe."

Then there is the Van Eps' from FVE' Banjo Solos that I posted, that does have "Sailor's Hornpipe" (and it does not seem abridged as far as I can tell-- consistent with all the others I played as tutor short pieces).  Following the fingerings makes this version weirdly efficient.

I've heard recordings played very close to this and without the minor AT by FVE (though it is easy enough to modulate, esp. if you've played with Frank Converse's "Arkansas Traveler with Variations").

What is the other Van Eps?

Dow, if you've not read the FVE/ Hobbies interview that was posted here, do it!

I do have some A notation manuscript that Eli sent me from the ABF that I can go through as I was given permission to scan and post when he sent them to me.

Which parts are unidentified Marc?  I bet we could track down titles.

The FVE's Solos version has,

Dixie (complete with the end walkaround dance)

Arkansas Traveler

My Love is a Lassie

Sailors'/College Hornpipe

Zip Coon/Turkey in the straw (also known as the most racist song in history per a recent NPR news piece).

Hey Joel, thanks for the info! I'm searching for those Van Eps interviews to no avail. I cannot locate them. I found a link and then a site stating this is the interview...and when I click on it nothing happens. I'd really like to hear them. I'll keep plunkin' away till I find them I guess. Thanks,

Dow

This discussion, 2nd page, Chris shares a scan of his photocopy of the "Hobbies Magazine" interview with FVE.  The radio interview was very short and while interesting not that revealing.

The magazine interview, on the other hand, is fantastic.

BTW, I lived in Carrollton, TX all my life till a little over three years ago.

Here is the manuscript in A notation.  I've not read it yet and I don't know who wrote it out.

Attachments:

The link to "hobbies" is here:

http://classic-banjo.ning.com/forum/topics/fred-van-eps-solos-now-i...

Joel Hooks said:

This discussion, 2nd page, Chris shares a scan of his photocopy of the "Hobbies Magazine" interview with FVE.  The radio interview was very short and while interesting not that revealing.

The magazine interview, on the other hand, is fantastic.

BTW, I lived in Carrollton, TX all my life till a little over three years ago.

Dow:

I have the Lou Green audio interview with Fred Van Eps at Union Station 1952.

FRED VAN EPS INTERVIEW 1952

but I can’t seem to find the 1955 Jim Walsh interview. I will see what I can do!

Thanks Jody! I forgot the link.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service