Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting to see an unknown, to me, piece by Alf Wood, 'Coal Black Anna'. I'm having some trouble locating my Tuner albums which I mentioned to you, but I'm still looking. I found the Dallas Albums No.11 and 13 which are mainly Hunter but there is a Lancing piece 'American Princess' I think it's called.

Ooooh. Another Alf Wood tune! I find Mr. Wood's tunes to be uniformly enjoyable. I'll have this one jinned up tonight to see what it sounds like.

Maybe I've asked before (and maybe its been answered)...anyone have a bio or info on Alf Wood?

There's a video of 'The Colonel' playing AW's 78 of 'Wallaby Polka'  on youtube. You might look in the 1950s B.M.G.s for Brewer's articles 'The Banjo in Britain'  a few of which are devoted to British banjoists. There are a few pictures of Alf Wood in the Morley biography on this site. As regards music I've got 'San Diego' (which place I believe he visited) 'Fan Tan' 'Colombo' (nothin got do with the TV detective) and perhaps another
Trapdoor2 said:

Ooooh. Another Alf Wood tune! I find Mr. Wood's tunes to be uniformly enjoyable. I'll have this one jinned up tonight to see what it sounds like.

Maybe I've asked before (and maybe its been answered)...anyone have a bio or info on Alf Wood?

Joel, the Lansing piece was 'Brightest Smiles' not 'American Princess'

Richard William Ineson said:

JoelInteresting to see an unknown, to me, piece by Alf Wood, 'Coal Black Anna'. I'm having some trouble locating my Tuner albums which I mentioned to you, but I'm still looking. I found the Dallas Albums No.11 and 13 which are mainly Hunter but there is a Lancing piece 'American Princess' I think it's called.

Thanks Richard, i'll go through what I have digitally and post a list.

Most of what I have was scanned by the late Hal Allert.  The scans, while readable, are quite poor.  I believe the originals came from Marc S..

Somewhere, someone has a book shelf full of these things just waiting for someone to preserve in infinite digital form. 

**A plea to all the "collectors" out there.**  There is a very high chance that your paper will end up in a recycle bin when you pass.  Please form a plan to prevent this from happening. The best plan is to have them digitally preserved.  This is a good plan in general.  Fires and floods, insects, and mold happen.  All of those things destroy paper. Also consider that the acidic paper that was used is slowly turning to dust.

The way to secure these important pieces of history is to create versions that could be stored all over the world and in unlimited copies.  This is the only way to insure against loss. 

Yes, I sent them to Hal long ago. I think they are still in the box he sent them back in. Once things settle down here, I'll send them to you, Joel.

That sounds great Marc!  Thanks!!

I just can't keep up with my own collection. I found I have 38 of Alf Wood's compositions and am slowly wending my way thru them. I have the ones you've mentioned. "Wallaby Polka" interesting that his great-grandson commented on the video! I should send him an email query to see if he has anything of Alf's (or knows anything about him).

Richard William Ineson said:

There's a video of 'The Colonel' playing AW's 78 of 'Wallaby Polka'  on youtube. You might look in the 1950s B.M.G.s for Brewer's articles 'The Banjo in Britain'  a few of which are devoted to British banjoists. There are a few pictures of Alf Wood in the Morley biography on this site. As regards music I've got 'San Diego' (which place I believe he visited) 'Fan Tan' 'Colombo' (nothin got do with the TV detective) and perhaps another
Trapdoor2 said:

Ooooh. Another Alf Wood tune! I find Mr. Wood's tunes to be uniformly enjoyable. I'll have this one jinned up tonight to see what it sounds like.

Maybe I've asked before (and maybe its been answered)...anyone have a bio or info on Alf Wood?

And here's the URL:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgEAQaNd7IQ

There's enough tone popping through the shellac-coated fiberboard disc to make for an enjoyable listening experience.

Richard William Ineson said:

There's a video of 'The Colonel' playing AW's 78 of 'Wallaby Polka'  on youtube.

"The Colonel" and his Youtube Channel were superb. But sad to relate  "The Colonel", Stephen Peppiat died earlier this year.

His massive collection of 78rpm records was left to Robert Godridge, so look out for his Youtube posts for some real gems.

LINK:  Robert Godridge Youtube

Mail is sketchy right now.  We are seeing stuff that normally would take 2 to 3 days go for two weeks.  It is not a great time to ship banjo music.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service