This is the only known tune by this composer, it's very Joplinesque in parts and the third section definitely has the ghost of the Maple Leaf in it.

It has four key changes that follow the circle of fifths which makes it a bit different from the usual ragtime structure.

It should appeal to any bluegrass players, in particular the first section. My suggested right hand fingering follows melodic style closely and the score could be seen as a mix of tab and manuscript as I've added lots of fret numbers. I've also suggested an open G tuning with the fourth string tuned up to D. The score and midi are in the library....Steve.

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once again, you've dug out a great tune! I've never heard this one or even heard of it.

Well done!

Thanks Marc, it's a real finger bender and you can see what I mean about appealing to bluegrass players. My suggested fingering, in the first section at least, is very much melodic. I couldn't figure out any other way to tackle it and get a reasonable speed...Steve 

Trapdoor2 said:

Once again, you've dug out a great tune! I've never heard this one or even heard of it.

Well done!

What do you suppose is intended by the cover drawing? it seems to be depicting a dog biting the behind of a one legged man who is casting a shadow on a wall or fence made of custard or mustard and which is decorated with bean pods. The dog has perhaps already consumed the left leg and is starting in on the right. But maybe he is actually biting the left leg and the right leg is draped over the fence. I think the artist had something else in mind. But what?

It is titled "The Crookedest Rag That Ever Happened, That's Goin' Some, a syncopated reminiscence"

Perhaps he's the crooked man that walked a crooked mile,

Then was attacked by a crooked dog that had a crooked smile.

He then ran another crooked mile and jumped a crooked custard fence.

And when he got on the other side, he exclaimed, "This story makes no crooked sense!"

I'm sure that's it, Marc. I'm sure that's it.

Trapdoor2 said:

It is titled "The Crookedest Rag That Ever Happened, That's Goin' Some, a syncopated reminiscence"

Perhaps he's the crooked man that walked a crooked mile,

Then was attacked by a crooked dog that had a crooked smile.

He then ran another crooked mile and jumped a crooked custard fence.

And when he got on the other side, he exclaimed, "This story makes no crooked sense!"

I see it as a black hobo with a bedroll across his shoulders with a backpack below that. We are seeing him in the moonlight trying to get away from the dog who lives in that yard. He was probably taking a shortcut through people's back yards to avoid being seen by the police and arrested as a vagrant.

Jody Stecher said:

What do you suppose is intended by the cover drawing? it seems to be depicting a dog biting the behind of a one legged man who is casting a shadow on a wall or fence made of custard or mustard and which is decorated with bean pods. The dog has perhaps already consumed the left leg and is starting in on the right. But maybe he is actually biting the left leg and the right leg is draped over the fence. I think the artist had something else in mind. But what?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service