Frolic Of The Coons (A Picanniny Gambol)..1906..Frank Gurney

This is a peach of a tune as played by the great Fred Van Eps. I was unable to get hold of a score but Ian found a copy of the sheet music for sale a vintage musicsite which had a couple of photos of  the open scores. With a bit oh help from Photoshop, I manged to obtain some rather blurry but just about readable copies. Together with the FVE recording, I put this arrangement together. It's mostly FVE  plus bits that I've rewritten for banjo of the parts played by the orchestra on the original record. In particular the intro and the middle 8 bars preceding the second part of the tune. Note the slow down in tempo for both these. I've added plenty of fret numbers to help players work out the chromatic triplets which add real interest to the tune. I've found the easiest way for me to play the triplets at speed is to use just  first finger and thumb. The score and midi are in the library...Steve

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCPtdy0B9T8  (FVE's record)

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the Lansing arrangement in A notation.

Attachments:

Hi Joel, I wonder if FVE used this score a basis for his recording?. The original piano score is in D major and I arranged my version in G as played by Fred....Steve.
Joel Hooks said:

Here is the Lansing arrangement in A notation.

I'll re-work the Lansing into C notation this evening. I need to do more Musescore training. It will output TAB too...will mess around with that too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service