This is a tuneful composition that suits the banjo and is well worth a listen and play. I had no problems playing the first two parts until I reached the third part which is nicely arranged variation with triplets. My 75 year old arthritic fingers came to a screeching halt when I tried it at the given tempo. Consequently I arranged it to be played in the melodic style where I use mainly my first finger and thumb which I found to be much easier. I could find very little about Colburn other that he was a Kansas musician who published at least 5 compositions and that he sued the publisher of this tune, D.H. Woolf for breach of copyright for which the court ordered Woolf to pay him $240. The score and midi are in the library....Steve.

Views: 113

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The guy on the cover is the "Foxy Grandpa" from a popular 1900-1912 American newspaper cartoon series.

Plot: two grandkids attempt to prank the old man but he turns the tables on them every time. ~30 compilations were eventually published of the strips and several silent movies. Very popular.

I can't wait to try this.

Joel Hooks said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service