I've just completed another James Scott rag, now in the library plus midi. It's a seldom heard tune in four parts. It has some really interesting syncopation, especially in the third section and is, I think, one of Scott's best compositions....Steve.

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a delight, Steve. I love this stuff...keep it coming!

Thanks for that Marc, I'm gradually working my way through Scott's rags, I've another three on the desk top to try when time permits. At the moment I'm working on a rare novelty Cake Walk which should stir up some interest when finished.Steve.

Hear, Hear Marc!

It is great to see these great ragtime pieces being bought back to life for Classic Banjo.

I am sure that I can find some more great Ragtimes tunes to work your magic on, enough to keep you going for the next 5 years or more!

;-)

Good work Steve!

Thanks Ian, I often wonder how many actually try out my arrangements, I get very little feed back. A Summer Breeze is a really interesting and early composition using 4 parts and is not too challenging to play. Scott at his best....Steve. 

thereallyniceman said:

Hear, Hear Marc!

It is great to see these great ragtime pieces being bought back to life for Classic Banjo.

I am sure that I can find some more great Ragtimes tunes to work your magic on, enough to keep you going for the next 5 years or more!

;-)

Good work Steve!

It is a great tune but I can only find one performance on Youtube of this piano rag.

The scores are available for all and I am sure that if they are not played immediately that they will be discovered for the great tunes that they are by players in future!  I will have a go at this one eventually!

That's a great rendition..it's nice to know I got the tempo at 85 b.p.m just about right, Scott said it was not to be played fast.

thereallyniceman said:

It is a great tune but I can only find one performance on Youtube of this piano rag.

The scores are available for all and I am sure that if they are not played immediately that they will be discovered for the great tunes that they are by players in future!  I will have a go at this one eventually!

Yah, I found that youtube also...and now that I've listened to it a bit, I'm wondering how one might "fill the holes" in the 3rd part where the bass and treble trade shots on the piano (starting at m59) but Steve has had to leave out the bass part in the banjo arrangement. It sounds odd to have rests in there (it didn't bother me until I heard the youtube video).

Of course, it could easily be done with a piano duet...

That's always a problem  when trying to fit two handed piano music to the banjo without making it unplayable. The rests are an integral component of the syncopation and to have filled the gaps with other notes would have changed the character of the tune so  I left well alone, it's always compromise. A second banjo part may be a solution.

Trapdoor2 said:

Yah, I found that youtube also...and now that I've listened to it a bit, I'm wondering how one might "fill the holes" in the 3rd part where the bass and treble trade shots on the piano (starting at m59) but Steve has had to leave out the bass part in the banjo arrangement. It sounds odd to have rests in there (it didn't bother me until I heard the youtube video).

Of course, it could easily be done with a piano duet...

Yes, Steve, I understand. I've been experimenting with arrangements for Lamb's "Ragtime Nightengale" for literally years and haven't come up with a solution that my ears like. It can be made to lie within the banjo's compass but some sections are then stratospheric and lose a lot to the plinkiness of the banjo up around the 22nd fret, etc. Best I've been able to come up with is a duet version.

Keep up the great work! These tunes beg to be heard.

Marc, what can be done —and this has lots of historic precedent both in the classic banjo field and elsewhere — is to move the super high passages down an octave. It often works. Even *usually*.

Hi Jody, I did the opposite with summer breeze and raised the third section by an octave, it was the only way I could see that would make it playable. Van Eps liked to play 'up the neck' on many of his tunes so I'll use that as an excuse...Steve.

Jody Stecher said:

Marc, what can be done —and this has lots of historic precedent both in the classic banjo field and elsewhere — is to move the super high passages down an octave. It often works. Even *usually*.

I'll have a look at Nightingale..maybe we could swap notes?....Steve.

rapdoor2 said:

Yes, Steve, I understand. I've been experimenting with arrangements for Lamb's "Ragtime Nightengale" for literally years and haven't come up with a solution that my ears like. It can be made to lie within the banjo's compass but some sections are then stratospheric and lose a lot to the plinkiness of the banjo up around the 22nd fret, etc. Best I've been able to come up with is a duet version.

Keep up the great work! These tunes beg to be heard.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service