I spotted a recording that I have never heard, and bet that you ain't either !!!

A great medley of Old Time Tunes...even a snatch of Morley's Georgia Medley in there!!

My research tells me that this was recorded around 1933.

TBj was a great player indeed, and I am proud to have spent time with him.

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nobody likes a smart a*se

;-))

Now I had better get back to my punishment!  

On Tower Bells, ringing the changes can take quite a long while if you have several bells:  

See chart:

...  we have 43 Handbells so I may be a while.

LOL. With 43 bells, you might actually run out of sunlight...as in the bulb will blow itself out first!

Early in the morning.

Richard, I haven't found a copy of "Early In The Morning" to listen to, the net is full of the Jazz/Blues tune of the same name. Can you point us to a copy to listen to?

Well, meanwhile, here's one. It's the chorus melody. He plays the third line differently, I think because he's run out of buttons on his toy melodeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeT2FTy7WPM

When I was young I had no sense so I bought me a fiddle for 18 pence

The only tune that it would play was Over The Hills and Far Away

Early in the morning

So early early in the morning

Early in the morning

Before the break of day

Trapdoor2 said:

Richard, I haven't found a copy of "Early In The Morning" to listen to, the net is full of the Jazz/Blues tune of the same name. Can you point us to a copy to listen to?

Sounds like a perfect match to me. I think we're done here!

A side:

1. The Minstrel Boy To The War Has Gone

2. Golden Slippers

3. Kingdom Comin' and the Year of Jubilo (by H. Work)

4. Old Black Joe

5. Sweet Genevive

6. Yankee Doodle

B side:

1. Early In The Morning

2. Little Brown Jug

3. Suwanee River

4. After The Ball

5. British Grenadiers

6. The Girl I Left Behind Me

7. Marching Thru Georgia

That was awesome. Here's another one with several familiar, catchy melodies. Can you name them all?

MORE OLD TIME SELECTIONS by Tarrant Bailey Jnr. 1933

Yes, by reading the titles on the 78 label.....LOL

Great Chris.  In the event of a titles error or disagreement among the less fortunate, can we call on you to settle it?

There is another tune called Lucy Long, who was a cousin of Long Tall Sally, that also sounds like the tune TBJnr is playing, so take your pick, sorry, that's a plectrum thing I think.

Trapdoor2 said:

Yah, I'm familiar with "Lucy Long" from playing the early banjo (often mis-named "minstrel banjo"). The 1850's original is similar but not as spot-on as "Early In The Morning".

The "More Old Time Selections" from Shawn has me almost totally baffled. I can name only one or two very obvious ones. Is there a pic of the label somewhere?

No. No. 1 is One man went to mow, then I'm baffled until after Home Sweet Home, which is followed by Wi' a hundred pipers, When Johnnie comes marching home, The Lincolnshire Poacher, the next one is familiar but I cannot name it, and the last one is A Hunting we will go.

Shawn McSweeny said:

That was awesome. Here's another one with several familiar, catchy melodies. Can you name them all?

MORE OLD TIME SELECTIONS by Tarrant Bailey Jnr. 1933

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service