For Joel Hook's "archive.org" site, and anyone else's who's interested ... as per Joel's request, the complete Horace Weston obituary issue of Stewart's Banjo and Guitar Journal.

Joel, I've set it up to more or less match the standards (halftone covers and bitmap interiors) of the other pdfs you've already got up there as well as the naming format that the University of Rochester uses, just for consistency's sake. It "weighs in" about the same -- 9.5 MB. 

Plus, I just noticed something really interesting; my copy is from a collection I bought from an eBay seller almost 15 years ago and is signed on the cover by a "L. B. Moiry" (or "Mowry" or something) -- and at least one of the issues you posted (June and July 1886) is signed by the same guy. Apparently Marc Smith loaned this copy to you for scanning -- Marc, did you buy this on eBay 15 years ago, too? Small world!

All my very best,

Chris W.

Stewart's Banjo and Guitar Journal, June-July 1890

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this, Chris. Three questions came to mind as I read the obituary. 

What are the "British Provinces"?   Canada perhaps?

Who throws his banjo overboard when wounded? The obit makes it sound as though this was the inevitable and natural thing to do. 

Does anyone know what was peculiar about Weston's 7-string banjo that he brought back to America from England? 

Interesting! First time I've seen Thomas Briggs final resting place noted (Greenwood Cemetery, New York, New York). I did a quick online search and found him in lot 5108, section 41. Buried 1856-03-08. Supposed to be a nice marble monument there, xferred from Frisco! Road trip, Joel!

Chris, I don't know when I bought mine, I've bought any I've run across...since at least 1992. Didn't document when or where.

Every time I have been wounded, my banjo always goes overboard. I think it is a knee-jerk kind of thing. Once, I was shot and had to rent a boat the next day to toss the banjo overboard. That was a real pain!

Marc, you understood my question perfectly.  My wife and I saw the new film about the National Lampoon this afternoon. Nothing in the film was even half as funny as your reply to my question. Not even the Disco Beaver From Outer Space. 

Trapdoor2 said:

Every time I have been wounded, my banjo always goes overboard. I think it is a knee-jerk kind of thing. Once, I was shot and had to rent a boat the next day to toss the banjo overboard. That was a real pain!

Thanks Chris!

Got back from the rally late last night and today means getting caught up.  Will post more when I get to sit down an read this.

Jody, I cannot give more details right now.  But if you had caught my lecture on Weston at the early banjo gathering you'd understand that very little of that bio actually happened.  But it was show business and you don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Jody Stecher said:

Thanks for this, Chris. Three questions came to mind as I read the obituary. 

What are the "British Provinces"?   Canada perhaps?

Who throws his banjo overboard when wounded? The obit makes it sound as though this was the inevitable and natural thing to do. 

Does anyone know what was peculiar about Weston's 7-string banjo that he brought back to America from England? 

Jody, you are the only other person in my universe who has mentioned Disco Beaver From Outer Space. I saw it once on TV and have not been able to find it again. It was crazy good but it made you turn your head back and forth like you were trying to get a crick out of your neck. Have you seen it recently?

Jody Stecher said:

Marc, you understood my question perfectly.  My wife and I saw the new film about the National Lampoon this afternoon. Nothing in the film was even half as funny as your reply to my question. Not even the Disco Beaver From Outer Space. 

Trapdoor2 said:

Pretty easy to find on youtube, Hal. Here's a link: Disco Beaver from Outer Space (National Lampoon, 1978)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service