This is one of the earliest compositions by Gershwin.

It was written in 1916 when he was 18 years old and is the only rag he ever composed. Donaldson is credited as the arranger rather than the composer. It's a very jazzy tune and I've taken a few liberties and 'banjofied' some of the bars. It's unusual in that there are no double repeats. The score and midi are in the library...Steve. 

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another great tune, Steve. Amazing how "Gershwin" this sounds...he had his own 'style' right from the beginning.

Thanks Marc, I'l bet anything there aren't many Gershwin tunes arranged for banjo and this is probably a first for Rialto Ripples....Steve.

trapdoor2 said:

Another great tune, Steve. Amazing how "Gershwin" this sounds...he had his own 'style' right from the beginning.

I agree Marc, Steve stars again.

It is surprising to me that there are so many great tunes out there that I have never, ever heard, even tunes by Gershwin! … and Steve manages to find them!

Steve also says that it is not too difficult to play either... hmmm!!!

Here is a piano version:

RIALTO RIPPLES on piano, composed by George Gershwin

Actually, "Rhapsody In Blue" has a tenor banjo part...I loaned my Paramount Style A (many years ago) to a buddy of mine who needed it for a performance. He is a degreed, professional musician and although he never had played the tenor before, he only needed a week of practice to play it with the local symphony. Some people are simply scary in their talent!

Of course, there are probably no original 5-string arrangements. Porgy and Bess comes to mind though...it has a tenor banjo part too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service