I see a lot of classic banjo players with the right-hand pretty much stuck in one spot, with the pinkie clamped on the head. I move around for contrast, but have been criticised for doing so...

Anyway, I've just seen this image of Fred Bacon and it is clear from the marks on the vellum that he moves around a lot, mainly in two positions, but with all points in between. I had never thought of looking at head markings before, but they can be quite revealing. Fred is not just going towards the fretboard occasionally just for contrast. It looks like he does it often, sometimes setting up camp there.

So, how do you play - fixed or moving?

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also looked at this on eBay and was wondering the same thing :-)

Rob MacKillop said:

What is the metal attachment on the head intended for?

And thanks alot for that tip on playing closer to the finger board on a zb! I'm not getting friends with my zb. Will try that out.

What type do you have, Pär?

Bracket for sheet music holder. When you're in the Zither Banjo Marching Band, you need all the help you can get!

Actually, I have no clue. Maybe for a strap? Does it say "Pull To Choke" on it?

David Wade would be the go-to for that info.

Rob MacKillop said:

What is the metal attachment on the head intended for?

Haha. David's away for the long holiday weekend. I'll have a few questions for him by the time he gets back.

I actually have two. One W.E Temlett at home right now and a Windsor on loan to a guitar playing friend friend who I hope will start playing banjo. I think the Windsor might be the better instrument.

Rob MacKillop said:

What type do you have, Pär?

Haha! I would very much prefer that to the 15 or so out of tune piccolo flutes with un-rhythmical drums that is the standard of German festivities....

Trapdoor2 said:

Bracket for sheet music holder. When you're in the Zither Banjo Marching Band, you need all the help you can get!

Mine cost me £134 (if I remember correctly from just a few days ago) and it is a test for me to see if I like the instrument style and its repertoire. If we get along well together, I might look for a better one, although this Temlett might be good enough. We shall see.

Yes, I also had my eyes on that zb, looks to be in good shape. Congrats! Please let us know how it plays.

I was really lucky with my Windsor zb, I think I payed like 30 euros for it. All because it was in parts and the seller labeled it as "banjo trash" (literally!) when putting it up on eBay. Luckilly I am able to put a banjo together if all the parts are there.

Banjo Trash - good name for a band ;-)

Haha! Yes, a zither banjo band playing Motorhead or Megadeath covers :-)

Rob MacKillop said:

Banjo Trash - good name for a band ;-)

I had a similar doo-dad on the back of another Abbott zb I had. It unscrewed and screwed into a hole at the fifth fret. It was a capo for the purpose of quickly converting the instrument into a z-banjeurine!    there was a  little bone nub at fret 10 you could slip the 5th string under.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service