Hi,

Does anyone one know if the Classic Banjo Podcasts from the now defunct classicbanjo.com are still hosted anywhere?

Thanks!

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was in discussions with Hal regarding hosting much of his site content over here on Ning, when he sadly died.

Here is the only Podcast that I hold:

CHARLIE ROGERS Hal Allert Podcast

Thanks! I have a MP3 copy of his podcast “Banjos On Their Saddlehorns” if you’d like a copy?

Hi Milwaukee.

I would like a copy of the Podcast MP3 please. What size is it? If you can email it to thereallyniceman@yahoo.co.uk that would be great.  I will also post it on here.

Ian

It looks to be 18.9 MB.

I just sent it to you via an email.

Please let me know if you get it.

Thank you Milwaukee.

Here it is:

BANJOS ON THEIR SADDLEHORNS Hal Allert Podcast

Glad that it has now once again been made available for others to hear!

being a radio fan I enjoyed these two podcasts very much indeed, I also like the Clifford Essex autobiography Pierrot Heroes on the Seaside Follies site, I wish there were more available, thank you for posting.

I’ll have to check out Seaside Follies site. I’d love to learn about the Pierrot Heroes!

nick stephens said:

being a radio fan I enjoyed these two podcasts very much indeed, I also like the Clifford Essex autobiography Pierrot Heroes on the Seaside Follies site, I wish there were more available, thank you for posting.

Clifford Essex wrote a series of articles 'How I Started' about his Pierrot activities, in the B.M.G. magazine from October 1916 onwards. Essex' chronology was a bit awry but I tidied this up in my joint (with Anthony Peabody) biography of Joe Morley (who was a CE Pierrot for some years). Both the relevant B.M.G. magazines and the JM bio are available on this site. I intend to write a more detailed account of the CE Pierrots with some new information about Kate Sampey (The Lady Banjoist) as soon as time permits. The formation of a Pierrot troupe was a good idea which caught on with many other banjo players and entertainers, such as Will Pepper, and Will Catlin. The seaside Pierrots lasted a long time all over the UK, I saw a performance by a Pierrot troupe in Morecambe in c1961, 70years after Essex came up with the idea.

Richard, I would love to read anything and everything you may care to write down re; Pierrot troupes, my interest in this style of banjo stems from my interest with this particular period in history when everybody who had the means owned and played a banjo, at the risk of offending many of our friends here I find it to be a peculiarly British fascination, all of society played banjos even, royalty so I think we have a very rich history to explore. Please bring it on !

Richard William Ineson said:

Clifford Essex wrote a series of articles 'How I Started' about his Pierrot activities, in the B.M.G. magazine from October 1916 onwards. Essex' chronology was a bit awry but I tidied this up in my joint (with Anthony Peabody) biography of Joe Morley (who was a CE Pierrot for some years). Both the relevant B.M.G. magazines and the JM bio are available on this site. I intend to write a more detailed account of the CE Pierrots with some new information about Kate Sampey (The Lady Banjoist) as soon as time permits. The formation of a Pierrot troupe was a good idea which caught on with many other banjo players and entertainers, such as Will Pepper, and Will Catlin. The seaside Pierrots lasted a long time all over the UK, I saw a performance by a Pierrot troupe in Morecambe in c1961, 70years after Essex came up with the idea.

I am curently writing a history of British seaside pierrot troupes and concert parties for Routledge. It should be out in Autumn 2023. In the meantime, I keep adding to my Seaside Follies site. I would welcom any detailed information on Kate Sampey that I could add into teh site, if you have any to sahre. Many thanks, Tony Lidington



nick stephens said:

Richard, I would love to read anything and everything you may care to write down re; Pierrot troupes, my interest in this style of banjo stems from my interest with this particular period in history when everybody who had the means owned and played a banjo, at the risk of offending many of our friends here I find it to be a peculiarly British fascination, all of society played banjos even, royalty so I think we have a very rich history to explore. Please bring it on !

Richard William Ineson said:

Clifford Essex wrote a series of articles 'How I Started' about his Pierrot activities, in the B.M.G. magazine from October 1916 onwards. Essex' chronology was a bit awry but I tidied this up in my joint (with Anthony Peabody) biography of Joe Morley (who was a CE Pierrot for some years). Both the relevant B.M.G. magazines and the JM bio are available on this site. I intend to write a more detailed account of the CE Pierrots with some new information about Kate Sampey (The Lady Banjoist) as soon as time permits. The formation of a Pierrot troupe was a good idea which caught on with many other banjo players and entertainers, such as Will Pepper, and Will Catlin. The seaside Pierrots lasted a long time all over the UK, I saw a performance by a Pierrot troupe in Morecambe in c1961, 70years after Essex came up with the idea.

Hello Tony, Our paths have not crossed as yet but it would be good to meet you at some time. i haven't got round to collating what little information i have about Kate Sampey, yet, I ran out of steam after doing  the Joe Morley epic with Anthony Peabody. I visited The KS family home a couple of years ago and also visited the Sampey graves in the local church, I also had an expensive stroke of luck and managed to purchase an original programme from the Essex December 1891 banjo concert at the Portman Rooms (I bought it from a book dealer in America it cost around £50 including postage, banjo research costs a lot in terms of time, patience, and money as you will know). With not concentrating on the subject for some time, i am not sure (I am 74years of age) what information I do or don't have about  KS, but I did think that I might commence work on her soon, to add the information to the Joe Morley biography featured on this site, as I will need a task to fill in the dark days of winter. Good to hear that  you are publishing a book about the Pierrots, as you know there have been a few attempts made on the subject in the past which were all commendable but the authors didn't have access to the whirl why web which has opened many doors and made much more information available. I am of course willing to share any info which I do have about KS etc. subject to Anthony Peabody and myself receiving a mention in the 'acknowledgments' department in your forthcoming book.

Uncle Tacko! said:

I am curently writing a history of British seaside pierrot troupes and concert parties for Routledge. It should be out in Autumn 2023. In the meantime, I keep adding to my Seaside Follies site. I would welcom any detailed information on Kate Sampey that I could add into teh site, if you have any to sahre. Many thanks, Tony Lidington



nick stephens said:

Richard, I would love to read anything and everything you may care to write down re; Pierrot troupes, my interest in this style of banjo stems from my interest with this particular period in history when everybody who had the means owned and played a banjo, at the risk of offending many of our friends here I find it to be a peculiarly British fascination, all of society played banjos even, royalty so I think we have a very rich history to explore. Please bring it on !

Richard William Ineson said:

Clifford Essex wrote a series of articles 'How I Started' about his Pierrot activities, in the B.M.G. magazine from October 1916 onwards. Essex' chronology was a bit awry but I tidied this up in my joint (with Anthony Peabody) biography of Joe Morley (who was a CE Pierrot for some years). Both the relevant B.M.G. magazines and the JM bio are available on this site. I intend to write a more detailed account of the CE Pierrots with some new information about Kate Sampey (The Lady Banjoist) as soon as time permits. The formation of a Pierrot troupe was a good idea which caught on with many other banjo players and entertainers, such as Will Pepper, and Will Catlin. The seaside Pierrots lasted a long time all over the UK, I saw a performance by a Pierrot troupe in Morecambe in c1961, 70years after Essex came up with the idea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service