The Castle (Doggy) Foxtrot (1915) James R. Europe and Ford T. Dabney.

This is another tune by James Europe, Dabney is also credited and I would guess that the tune was written by Europe and the Piano score arranged by Dabney. To my ears, it has similarities in style to Georgia Grind by Dabney. Irene and Vernon Castle were two popular dancers of the era and the name was probably taken as a tribute to them. I've no idea where  'Doggy' fits in the scheme of things. The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Popular" is almost too thin to describe the Castles. They (almost single-handedly) threw off the old ball-and-chain Victorian stuffiness and hurled Europe and America into a dancing fit which hasn't stopped yet. They toured with J.R. Europe and band. Irene Castle created the "bob" haircut for women...so popular in the 20's...she was the inspiration for the "flapper" girl of the 20's.

"Doggy" was a cant/idiomatic term for "fancy" or "showy" in the period. "Puttin' on the dog" or "Doggin' it" were common terms to indicate you were dressing up fancily or acting uppity.

Thanks Marc, I knew it had to mean something, it's an expression that I've never heard on this side of the pond. I suppose that there's a good chance the Castles could have danced to this tune....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

"Popular" is almost too thin to describe the Castles. They (almost single-handedly) threw off the old ball-and-chain Victorian stuffiness and hurled Europe and America into a dancing fit which hasn't stopped yet. They toured with J.R. Europe and band. Irene Castle created the "bob" haircut for women...so popular in the 20's...she was the inspiration for the "flapper" girl of the 20's.

"Doggy" was a cant/idiomatic term for "fancy" or "showy" in the period. "Puttin' on the dog" or "Doggin' it" were common terms to indicate you were dressing up fancily or acting uppity.

I'm sure they did. I can only imagine the impact they had with JRE's band. They were widely considered the most exciting dance team ever and to have them dancing to music from one of the most exciting orchestras of the period...well, that had to have been something amazing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service