Shuffling Jasper (1899)..Two Step & Cake Walk..W. H. Scouton

This is a good example of early 'folk' ragtime. All I could discover about the composer is that he mainly composed music for band and orchestra. I expect that this was his attempt to exploit the ragtime craze. It's a catchy tune and suits the banjo well. I've kept the arrangement simple (mainly single notes) so it's not too much of a challenge to play. The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 116

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neat little tune, well done Steve!

Scouter published a number of marches. I found this tiny bio. on a youtube vid of his "The American Habit March".

"Scouton was born in Monroeville, Ohio and played with several bands in Sandusky and the Toledo area. He played at Johnson's Island Resort, an early rival of Cedar Point Park. He wrote several marches while director of Strobel's Band and eventually settled back home in Fremont, Ohio."

I've found sheet music for "Hello Bill" march (1904), "The Conciliator March" (1903), "Love of Liberty" (1903), The Treaty Of Portsmouth" (1905), "Give the Countersign" (1902, recorded by the Arthur Pryor Band) and one still in print, "King Over All"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service