Pickanniny Shuffle aka Plantation Idylle (1898) Emma Y. Suckert.

This is yet another early tune that could have been written for banjo.

The first part  and its repeats is very reminiscent of a Scottish Strathspey. The second part complements this in a minor key and the third part reminds me of something that Turlough O'Carolan could have written.  The whole composition has a very folk music feel to it.

I couldn't find anything out about the composer, this is one of only two compositions published in her name. It's a catchy tune and not too hard on the fingers. The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On the front cover of the music, it refers to the Yellow and the Blue. Does anyone have any idea to what this refers?...Steve.

Published by Central Music, Detroit, Michigan.

Colors of the University of Michigan: Yellow and Blue.

Alma Mater song: "Yellow and Blue" composed in 1880's.

Marketing plays an important role. Many publishers tried to associate themselves with University Glee Clubs...I suspect primarily because anyone attending college in 1896 was likely to have access to money or be someone who might soon make enough money to purchase sheet music. Their target market was going to be "upper class" because that's where the money was.

Thanks Marc, and I always thought the USA was a classless society, as everywhere, money talks. This close association people have with your Universities and Colleges is not seen as much in the UK....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Published by Central Music, Detroit, Michigan.

Colors of the University of Michigan: Yellow and Blue.

Alma Mater song: "Yellow and Blue" composed in 1880's.

Marketing plays an important role. Many publishers tried to associate themselves with University Glee Clubs...I suspect primarily because anyone attending college in 1896 was likely to have access to money or be someone who might soon make enough money to purchase sheet music. Their target market was going to be "upper class" because that's where the money was.

We like to say, "in the US, we have no class..." ;-)

However, in the 1890's the US was very much a class-structured society...and much like the UK, colleges were exclusive, highly traditional and projected an image of class and industry. School colors, ties, etc.

All that tradition has mostly gone by the boards in the chase for money. Here, sports trumps all. I bought a folding chair a few years back that was yellow and blue...they couldn't sell it at full price here because it represents a sometimes rival college! (Alabama being Crimson and White...etc.).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service