Old Heidelberg (1904)...Kerry Mills..(A characteristic march)

This is another lesser known composition by Kerry Mills.

It has a very European/Germanic flavour with a pleasant melody. As usual, I've banjofied quite a few of the bars to make this into a good banjo march. Apart from a few opening bars on the Grainger web site, I've been unable to find any commercial recording on the web. It was recorded by the Arthur Pryor band in 1906, according to the Library of Congress, but they don't appear to have a copy of the record. Maybe some of our American members might have more success....Steve.

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear  Steve,

I found a Download of the Edison Concert Band from the year 1906.  

Yours sincerely

Hans Straub

Attachments:

Hi Hans, thanks for that, I looked at all my usual sources but with no luck. I had to do my arrangement having never heard the tune played so I'm pleased that I wasn't too far away from the original.....Steve.

Hans Straub said:

Dear  Steve,

I found a Download of the Edison Concert Band from the year 1906.  

Yours sincerely

Hans Straub

Man! Now I cannot wait for Ian's glockenspiel solo...

Well done again, Steve. Cool tune.

Thanks Marc..It's certainly different from most of Mill's other tunes. In 1901 there was a play written by Wilhelm Forster called 'Old Heidelberg' which later morphed into the operetta 'The Student Prince'. I would guess that that's where Mill's got his idea from. Ian will certainly have to polish up his hand bells for this one..a bit of multi tracking perhaps?.....Steve.

apdoor2 said:

Man! Now I cannot wait for Ian's glockenspiel solo...

Well done again, Steve. Cool tune.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service