This is one of the many tunes recorded by Fred Van Eps, I've included two arrangements, one in Em C which follows the FVE recording with a few additions by me and the other is in Am F which I think makes for a better banjo solo. I've given it the full banjofying treatment and it's not too much of a challenge to play. The score and midi are in the library.

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's one thing I forgot to add to my original post, does anyone know the origin of the tune title?...Steve.

The term refers to a person of mixed racial ancestry whose skin has a golden color. High Yellow is one of the gradations of blackness. In the American south, especially, but not only, in New Orleans, there was a caste system of sorts amongst the African-American population. The darker you were, the lower. The term still exists, and not only in the south.  I've never heard it pronounced any way except "high yaller".  It can be simply descriptive (of a yellow or golden hue of the skin) or it can be used as an insult, depending on context.

Hi Jody, Thanks for that, I didn't realize the racial context of the title....Steve. 

Jody Stecher said:

The term refers to a person of mixed racial ancestry whose skin has a golden color. High Yellow is one of the gradations of blackness. In the American south, especially, but not only, in New Orleans, there was a caste system of sorts amongst the African-American population. The darker you were, the lower. The term still exists, and not only in the south.  I've never heard it pronounced any way except "high yaller".  It can be simply descriptive (of a yellow or golden hue of the skin) or it can be used as an insult, depending on context.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service