I'm aware that a few classic style players used Gibsons in the past, and I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it with a 40-hole archtop or a flathead? It'd be interesting to see how these sound with nylon or gut and a period bridge.

Views: 1472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's that comparative Gibson tone ring link if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfiyOPEvPI

Awesome Chris, thanks for the link!

No Chris , i don ' t have the Fairbanks Robinson & don 't know who has it  ?

i have many banjos but i don 't touch  to the old Fairbanks ,  Cole eclipse or pre W  Gibsons because i really think they are overpriced    .................. or ; may be  the others very good banjos  are cheap ;

something is wrong in the scale  of the prices ....................

Here 's is a picture of a F & C Clipper banjo i own ;  a guy on the Web said there are only 5 or 6 knowed

Yes, Marc, quite right on the prices....some banjos are currently over valued, and others undervalued in my opinion....supply and demand trumps utilitarian value/qualities sometimes given things in buyers' minds that have to do more with things other than quality/qualities of some instruments (image, etc....).

WOW....yes, the F&C Clippers are VERY rare...that is wonderful!

So Eric did not buy the Robinson?

Chris

Eric ?   Stefanelli  ?  he never had a Fairbanks ;

i will ask him if one of his customers used to bring one to him for a repair , one day ... ,?

Yes, Eric Stefanelli...I was just wondering....it's not that serious of a question.  I just knew that someone in France bought this banjo in the late 90's as I knew the seller and just wondered who.....but don't trouble Eric....it's not that big of a deal.

I suppose I wondered how many classic banjo folks there were in France........

i 'am afraid the Robinson is now set  up  with steel strings  to play some frailing stuff only ...................

there are some CB ' players  ; here 's a picture of the trio with Pat & éric S , some years ago ; i played the 16 ' cello éric made for me ;

my friend  jean marc Andrès is a fine CB player too  ; he used to play inEurope & USA with Pete Rowan & others artists , he plays CB on steel strings with the same old  Stelling Tony T sold to him years ago

and here ' s Tony , a Young guy from South of France , too ; he discovered CB  a few time  ago and he 's a big fan & a  fine player

Here with 3 CE clipper pre 1920 /  n°  6162 / 6177 / 6199

Great, thanks, Marc!

Your pictures won't show up for me....???

It's not just "for you" Chris. Something has gone wrong on the website it seems. I saw all the photos this morning. Now they are gone. Also the function that allows me to reply to a particular reply (yours in this case) is not operative at the moment. 

I dunno, I have a very picky connection here at work and I've been able to see the pix all morning...and am looking at them right now.

There is something about banjo players named "Marc"...three of my favorite players! ;-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service