Frank Coyne kindly sent a list of scores that he has available to share with us and one title reminded me of a great video that was produced a few years ago by Joel and Carl.

To me, their amazing performance was haunting and spellbinding, so thought that it was worth another watch!

Now we have the score available in the MUSIC LIBRARY too.

Views: 2234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you very much Marc, I finally found someone that can find easier songs for beginners, any help with easier songs for beginner's is appreciated.

thank you marc,

Rich Freeze

Hi Trapdoor, I attach a pdf copy of The Mervan Schottische (source unknown). This is one of the first pieces Eddie Tobin (1911/’73), a Dublin man who was known throughout Ireland and Britain as the "wizard of the banjo", taught his many students (see Eddie’s ‘Banjo Antics’ in the Library). When you get a chance you might like to tab (and perhaps MIDI) this for beginners out there to try out. Incidentally, is Trapdoor a pseudonym for that brilliant ‘tabbist’ Marc D. Smith? Regards. Frank

Attachments:

LOL. I don't know about the 'brilliant' part, but yes. 'Trapdoor' is me. I used to collect both Gibson "Trapdoor" banjos and Springfield M1873 "Trapdoor" rifles. The nome-de-internet thus came about quite naturally.

I will absolutely give "Mervan Schottische" a go. We need all the easy stuff we can find!

Thanks!

===Marc

Frank,

I thought this piece, "Mervan Schott." looked vaguely familiar. I think it is from one of the Ellis tutors...and I had actually already TABbed out the "Pupil" part. Took me about 10 minutes to add the "Teacher" part. Here's both in .tef, MIDI and TAB.

Attachments:

Hi Trapdoor,

That’s brilliant, many thanks for tabs and MIDI. Interesting that you came across it before. I often wondered about the author of this pleasant piece but could not source it anywhere (including the www) and I forgot to ask Eddie. There is a page number on the ‘original’ score 22 but that is all I knew about it, perhaps it is an Ellis piece, does anyone here know definitively? Enjoyed your tab of CE’s arrangement of Mississippi Breakdowns and was inspired to learn it following a listening to Carrie’s posted video. Regards. Frank

Marc, Do you have anymore easy songs for beginners in TablEdit form. I'll tell you a little about myself, I'm a sixty four old banjo player (I try) my wife and I use to run a DJ Service here in Sheboygan County Plymouth WI. I started banjo about 3 years ago. I was doing pretty well, I retired from Sargento Foods about 4 Years ago, we sold the DJ Service and I bought a (what I thought was a good banjo Goldtone OB250, O didn't realize it was so heavy which caused my back to get really sore, went to chiropractor to get some help, that didn't work that well. I started to do some exercises witch has helped. So I trying to get back to playing again, Any Easy songs you can post in TablEdit form would be great, I had an instructor from Milwaukee WI, but we haven't got together in a while. I'll try and send you a picture.

Thank You for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich Freeze

Rich: if you abandon the strap and simply balance the banjo on your right leg while sitting, your back problems may well vanish. Your Goldtone *is* a good banjo.  

Hi Frank! Looking good!

Playing while sitting is probably the most common technique for Classic banjo...and many people have similar problems with heavier banjos. I would keep the strap but adjust it to only balance the neck, not actually take any of the banjos weight...which should be resting on your right leg, as Jody says.

That Gold Tone is an excellent banjo. Looks like a Nechville in your picture though!

I do have some easy stuff in tabledit format, I'll be happy to send them to you directly rather than post them here.

thank you Jody, but I sold that banjo and bought an Nichville Athena

Jody Stecher said:

Rich: if you abandon the strap and simply balance the banjo on your right leg while sitting, your back problems may well vanish. Your Goldtone *is* a good banjo.  

Great, Thank You

Rich Freeze

Trapdoor2 said:

Hi Frank! Looking good!

Playing while sitting is probably the most common technique for Classic banjo...and many people have similar problems with heavier banjos. I would keep the strap but adjust it to only balance the neck, not actually take any of the banjos weight...which should be resting on your right leg, as Jody says.

That Gold Tone is an excellent banjo. Looks like a Nechville in your picture though!

I do have some easy stuff in tabledit format, I'll be happy to send them to you directly rather than post them here.

Richard L Freeze said:

Great, Thank You Yes, I'll take whatever you have in Tabledit form, Thank you so much.

Rich Freeze

Trapdoor2 said:

Hi Frank! Looking good!

Hi Trapdoor, How about a tab of that ‘Funeral March of an Old Jaw Bone’ to help newbies play along with that classic UTube Video mentioned by Ian recently. Also, a friend asked me about a Guitar tab for the three breakdowns you tabbed recently, Preliminary, Free State and Down South. Does your tab generator extend to Guitar Tabs? Regards? Frank

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service