Frank Coyne kindly sent a list of scores that he has available to share with us and one title reminded me of a great video that was produced a few years ago by Joel and Carl.

To me, their amazing performance was haunting and spellbinding, so thought that it was worth another watch!

Now we have the score available in the MUSIC LIBRARY too.

Views: 2234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are two more Ballantine Breakdowns in G Major to try out. Frank

Attachments:

And finally, for the moment anyway, here are three Herbert J. Ellis pieces fresh from the scanner: Levee Jig; College Breakdown and Lou’sana Jig to add to the repertoire. Frank

Attachments:

Hi Trapdoor, Error in the Free State Breakdown (Marc D Smith) tab - measure 4? (Note 5, should be F sharp) and similarly in measures 11 and 15. Regards. Frank

Hi Trapdoor, Error in the Free State Breakdown tab - measure 4? (Note 5, should be F sharp) and similarly in measures 11 and 15. Regards. Frank

Thanks for the error list, Frank. I did these very quickly last night, so I'm not surprised!

I'll fix 'em this evening and repost.

Frank,

Measure 4 of "Free State" shows A-D-C-D (in dotted rhythm) and then a low D followed by a D an octave above. I see no F# notes, thus I assume you mean that the original notation is incorrect. F# would work (musically) but I can see no real reason to reject the original notation.

I did set these in the "raised bass" tuning (gDGBD), only because there were no notes lower than D and as such, it makes the fingering a bit easier with those bass notes played open. If one is to maintain a bit of continuity, it certainly makes reaching for the bass F#s in "Down South" easier.

I've got to be missing something. Bear with me, I can be dense! ;-)

===Marc

Frank Coyne said:

Hi Trapdoor, Error in the Free State Breakdown tab - measure 4? (Note 5, should be F sharp) and similarly in measures 11 and 15. Regards. Frank

Trapdoor2 said:

I got you covered Richard.

I'll have "Free State Breakdown" tonight, it is simply a variation of "Preliminary Breakdown"..."Down South" shouldn't be much trouble, it is just a more complicated version. I'll get it done.

Trapdoor2 Can you make theses Files into TablEdit form, Thank you for all your help.

Rich Freeze

Frank Coyne said:

Hi Trapdoor, Well done with Tabs and MIDI and many thanks for taking the time to do these and make the music more widely accessible and user friendly. Frank

Sure Frank. I created them in TablEdit, so no problem. I'll post the .tef files when I get home today.

===Marc

Richard L Freeze said:

Trapdoor2 said:

I got you covered Richard.

I'll have "Free State Breakdown" tonight, it is simply a variation of "Preliminary Breakdown"..."Down South" shouldn't be much trouble, it is just a more complicated version. I'll get it done.

Trapdoor2 Can you make theses Files into TablEdit form, Thank you for all your help.

Rich Freeze

Thank you to all of you for making my banjo challenge more successful and easier to practice.

Rich Freeze TablEdit works well for me because I'm visually handicapped and I can make the tabs bigger to read.

Hi Trapdoor2, Apologies, looking at the way I play it rather than the score using F♯, tab is just fine and great, many thanks.  Regards. Frank

Trapdoor2 said:

Frank,

Measure 4 of "Free State" shows A-D-C-D (in dotted rhythm) and then a low D followed by a D an octave above. I see no F# notes, thus I assume you mean that the original notation is incorrect. F# would work (musically) but I can see no real reason to reject the original notation.

I did set these in the "raised bass" tuning (gDGBD), only because there were no notes lower than D and as such, it makes the fingering a bit easier with those bass notes played open. If one is to maintain a bit of continuity, it certainly makes reaching for the bass F#s in "Down South" easier.

I've got to be missing something. Bear with me, I can be dense! ;-)

===Marc

Frank Coyne said:

No problem, Frank. I always welcome error reports as I seem to generate more than my fair share!

I went back thru all three TABs and found a note with the wrong value, corrected that. I'll do the rest of the ones you've posted but I don't know when I'll get to them.

Richard, see attached for the .tef files for the three breakdowns. Don't hesitate to ask for TablEdit files from me, that's what I live and breathe...

===Marc

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service