I helped a friend fix a pre-1914 Dallas banjo. "fixing" it only  in the sense of getting it playable.  And now I'm trying to help him value it for sale, as he doesn't play the banjo. As near as I can tell, its a pre-1914 model because it has Dallas' address at 415 Strand stamped on it, and he moved to a new location in 1914.  Also, as near as I can tell, it is an entry level model in that it has no elaborate carving or inlays, and the only original parts are the neck, the metal-clad rim and 20 of the 22 L-shoe brackets.  The banjo was 'restored' in the 1960's and converted to steel with a plastic head and tension hooks, tension hoop, tail piece and tuners from Stewart MacDonald.  The neck is straight and the rim is in good shape as well. Pics can be seen at https://plus.google.com/photos/105044638377824789507/albums/5933376...

I put a new head on it and converted it back to nylon strings with a new 5th string tuner (necessary for nylon) and bridge and tailpiece. He didn't like that, so I put back the 1960's hardware, light gauge steel strings and left it playable, but not as close to the original as I'd like.  Nevertheless, he wants to sell it.  Any idea what its worth?  Is there collectors value here? Or is it just a nice little playable banjo?

Views: 2914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand everything except for why the tension hoop was replaced in the 1960s and why the Stew Mac fifth string tuner needed to be replaced to take a nylon string. And why would steel strings need different hooks?  I do not think there is collectors value in this banjo. JE Dallas banjos can be absolutely fantastic. I have no hesitation in saying that the best open back banjo I have ever played was a mid level model Dallas. But this one is a bit of a mongrel. It might be a good instrument but it's not of great monetary value in my opinion.

As far as I can guess, the tension hoop and hooks were all missing, as were two of the shoes.  I suspect someone found the neck and rim and just put newer parts on...or perhaps the tension hoop and original hooks were rusted.

The 5th string tuner was a Planet...where the string wound around a barrel inside a tube...with the thickness of nylon strings, they would get pinched and break before full tension.  When I got it strung up with nylon it sounded great.  Not so great w/ steel.

In that case, it is possible that the only JE Dallas item is the neck. How have you determined that the pot and neck were originally from the same banjo?

By the way, I have used planetary 5th string tuners with nylon strings with no pinching or breakage. 

David Alden said:

As far as I can guess, the tension hoop and hooks were all missing, as were two of the shoes.  I suspect someone found the neck and rim and just put newer parts on...or perhaps the tension hoop and original hooks were rusted.

The 5th string tuner was a Planet...where the string wound around a barrel inside a tube...with the thickness of nylon strings, they would get pinched and break before full tension.  When I got it strung up with nylon it sounded great.  Not so great w/ steel.

Well..hat's off to you...maybe there was a burr or something caused by the steels?  I went through about 4 strings before I gave up.

As to the banjo, I couldn't determine for certain that the neck and rim were from the same banjo, but the rim was a period style metal clad thin rim, and it and the dowel stick (I forgot to mention that) all fit like a glove.  The dowel stick was the piece stamped "J.E. Dallas Maker 415 Strand " plus a serial number. I would be pretty confident that the neck rim and dowel and 20 of the 22 shoes were original.  Everything else looked new.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service