I have spoken to Patrick at:    http://www.phonozoic.net/catalog.html

They produce the brilliant 2 CD set of Classic Style banjo recordings of famous artists of the turn of the last century. This is an excellent CD set, that I have owned for years and regularly play. I recommend it as a must for every Classic Style enthusiast!  

I asked if they would allow the use excerpts of the CD audio tracks in our Music Library to demonstrate how the scores were originally played. Patrick's reply is very interesting.. please read it all. I am sure that we would all like to hear the Cylinder recording that he mentions:

QUOTE:

Dear Ian:--

Greetings from Parke Hunter's hometown!  You're very welcome to make the use of tracks from "Acoustic Recordings of the Banjo" which you propose.  You have a marvelous website underway, and if excerpts from the CD will help to enhance it, I'll be delighted for that to happen.

As an aside, I recently identified a box of cylinders at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History which had been used for the Edison phonograph exhibit at the Paris Exposition of 1889.  According to a contemporary handwritten list of selections, one of the cylinders should contain a banjo solo -- which I believe would be the oldest known recording of the banjo, and most likely a mid-1889 performance by Will Lyle (William B. Lomas).  I hope we'll get to hear it one day soon!

Best,
Patrick

Views: 134

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service