Classic Banjo (2,667)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Missouri Romp (1907)..Arthur Marshall

This is a rare rag that was never published during the composers lifetime consequently I've been unable to locate a piano score. I did find…

Started by Steve Harrison

0 Jan 16, 2016

about Nylgut

The following link pertaining to the chemistry and properties of Nylgut (but which kind?) just appeared in another musical instrument forum…

Started by Jody Stecher

3 Jan 16, 2016
Reply by Joel Hooks

Another Early Ossman

Vess L. Ossman was America's fresh-faced lion of the banjo in 1896 when his arrangement of "Moonlight Dance", a lyrical but also rather s…

Started by Shawn McSweeny

0 Jan 16, 2016

Recommended duets for Piano and Tenor/5 String

Hello everyone and happy new year. My 11 year old son is quite a capable pianist, and is particularly interested in jazz and ragtime. I'd…

Started by Bayard Randel

0 Jan 15, 2016

Pan Am Rag (1914)...Tom Turpin

This is the final one of Turpin's published rags. It's got some very tuneful chromatic runs in the second section which are repeated in the…

0 Jan 14, 2016

St. Louis Rag (1903)...Tom Turpin

This is number 5 out of 6 of Turpin's rags, it was recorded by Fred Van Eps and the hand written FVE score is also in the library. This a c…

0 Jan 14, 2016

One of Them Things (1904)..James Chapman & Leroy Smith

This reckoned to be the earliest published piece of blues music. It starts in the usual blues format until the third section where there is…

2 Jan 13, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

The Buffalo Rag (1904) Tom Turpin

This is number 4 out of 6 of my arrangements of Tom Turpin's published rags. It was recorded in 1906 by Vess Osman and his recording can be…

0 Jan 10, 2016

Strings on S.S. Stewart Thoroughbred banjo

What are the best strings on a S.S. Stewart Thoroughbred banjo? Steel or nylgut? I am leaning towards nygut. My 1888 Luscomb banjo has nylg…

Started by Richard Katz

16 Jan 10, 2016
Reply by Jody Stecher

An anachronism?

I received a photo in an email message from site member Leslie Evers today. I don't think I've seen it before. What's interesting to me is…

Started by Jody Stecher

14 Jan 10, 2016
Reply by Richard William Ineson

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service