This another early folk rag that may be of interest to those who play melodic style banjo as, although a piano tune, parts are of it are in the melodic style.

I researched the unusual title found the following information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concatenated_Order_of_Hoo-Hoo

It's a pleasant folksy tune and not too hard to play. The score and midi are in the library..Steve.

Views: 487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a delightful little tune! I really enjoy this kind of writing, fun, whimsical (which seems to be in keeping with the club) and full of interesting bits. Going on the 'to-do' list! Thanks Steve!

Thanks Marc, have you had a listen to Picanniny Shuffle the other Suckert tune that I posted some time back? It's very much in the same style. They are the only two tunes ever published by her....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

What a delightful little tune! I really enjoy this kind of writing, fun, whimsical (which seems to be in keeping with the club) and full of interesting bits. Going on the 'to-do' list! Thanks Steve!

I'm sure I listened to it when you posted it, I just don't remember it. I gave 'em both a listen just a minute ago and for me, "Hoo-Hoo" beats the "Shuffle" all hollow. I think it has a better flow and certainly more whimsy.

The shuffle sounds so much like every other composition of its ilk...they really have to work hard to stand out from the crowd...and it just doesn't do it for me.

The "Hoo-Hoo" bounces along without trying to be much of anything. I like that there are a variety of techniques required and I'm a sucker for funny little grace-note 'twiddly bits'.

Hi Marc, I'm a bit like a stamp collector who wants to complete the set. When looking for new stuff to do, I tend to search composers and see what else is on offer. It's a pity that Suckert didn't offer us any more compositions. From what I could find out about her, she married and her music took a back seat...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

I'm sure I listened to it when you posted it, I just don't remember it. I gave 'em both a listen just a minute ago and for me, "Hoo-Hoo" beats the "Shuffle" all hollow. I think it has a better flow and certainly more whimsy.

The shuffle sounds so much like every other composition of its ilk...they really have to work hard to stand out from the crowd...and it just doesn't do it for me.

The "Hoo-Hoo" bounces along without trying to be much of anything. I like that there are a variety of techniques required and I'm a sucker for funny little grace-note 'twiddly bits'.

I also tend to work in batches from particular composers. Sometimes I think I get a better 'feel' for their work after I've done several.

I really like this tune.  Nora Hulse, the ragtime pianist, does a nice rendition on her cd '60 Years of Ragtime Piano' - I'm looking forward to trying it out on banjo.

Thanks Carrie, I Googled Nora Hurse but couldn't find anything, I'd not heard of her before your post. In recognition of all the Stirling work Ian has done over the years for all things banjo related and in the traditions of the Concatenated Order of the Hoo Hoo, we should award him the title of 'Grand Snark of the universe'....Steve.

carrie horgan said:

I really like this tune.  Nora Hulse, the ragtime pianist, does a nice rendition on her cd '60 Years of Ragtime Piano' - I'm looking forward to trying it out on banjo.

I've worked out an alternative to the grace notes in bars 42 and 70 using harmonics..3rd string open...harmonic on 1st string 12th.....harmonic on 5th string 17th.....finishing with harmonic 3rd string 12th. It gives a nice effect and could be mixed and matched with the grace notes on the repeat. It's just a suggestion....Steve.

Odd, Steve. I did the same thing and got lots of hits on Nora.

I'll have to remember about the harmonics. I have a couple of pieces in the queue before I get to this one.

One thing I probably shouldn't mention...but I think pretty funny: Miz Diane asked me what I was working on and I said, "Dance of the Hoo-Hoo". The look on her face was amazing, and then she couldn't stop laughing, esp. after seeing the original sheet music.

Once she finally calmed down, I got an explanation: "Hoo-Hoo" is a euphemism commonly used by mothers (perhaps only in the South?) with daughters. She told me that when she was young, her mother would send her to take a bath, usually appending, "And don't forget to wash your Hoo-Hoo!"

I've had another look and found her using pianist as a search word. (It was late at night last time I looked!) She was playing Firefly by Anita Owen. I've got hold of the music and I may put it on the to do list...Steve.
Trapdoor2 said:

Odd, Steve. I did the same thing and got lots of hits on Nora.

I'll have to remember about the harmonics. I have a couple of pieces in the queue before I get to this one.

One thing I probably shouldn't mention...but I think pretty funny: Miz Diane asked me what I was working on and I said, "Dance of the Hoo-Hoo". The look on her face was amazing, and then she couldn't stop laughing, esp. after seeing the original sheet music.

Once she finally calmed down, I got an explanation: "Hoo-Hoo" is a euphemism commonly used by mothers (perhaps only in the South?) with daughters. She told me that when she was young, her mother would send her to take a bath, usually appending, "And don't forget to wash your Hoo-Hoo!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service