Classic Banjo (2,665)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

The Darktown Dandy (1898)...Joseph W. Lerman

This is an early 'folk' cakewalk and similar in style to some of the tunes that can be found in the early banjo tutors. It's very well suit…

Started by Steve Harrison

3 Jun 19, 2016
Reply by carrie horgan

12th.Street Rag (1915)...Euday Lewis Bowman.

Whenever I've heard this played on banjo, it's usually been on plectrum banjo played at 100mph, very brash and not to my taste. I've writte…

6 Jun 18, 2016
Reply by carrie horgan

The Bell Telephone Girl (1909)..Ida Furman-Multiner

This tune goes back to the early days of the telephone before automated telephone exchanges. The composer was the wife of Charles Multiner…

2 Jun 17, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

Tickle Toes - A Toe Tickler, William Penn

Ok, was listening to the Skirtlifters on the way to work this morning and "Tickle Toes" caught my ear. Sounds like it would be fun to play.…

Started by Trapdoor2

21 Jun 16, 2016
Reply by Hal Allert

Back from St Gervasy 2016

We are back from the 2016 ' Banjo festival in Saint Gervasy ( Gard  / France ) ; We had the pleasure to see Alison again this year ; she wa…

Started by marc dalmasso

2 Jun 14, 2016
Reply by marc dalmasso

Tar Babies Rag (1911)..Chas. L. Johnson

This is a good medium paced rag by Johnson, I've set it at the speed recommended by him on the piano score which gives a nice steady tempo.…

0 Jun 13, 2016

Many good banjos

A public service announcement: Paul Blumentritt, a new member of this forum, has been the  proprietor of the Folk Shop in Tucson, Arizona f…

Started by Jody Stecher

2 Jun 11, 2016
Reply by Trapdoor2

Under The Southern Moon (1910)...Chas. L. Johnson.

Yet another good tune from Johnson, it's a lively cake walk and not too hard on the fingers. The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

0 Jun 11, 2016

Southern Hospitality (1899)..Arthur Willard Pryor.

This another good tune for banjo with an 'old timey' feel to it.  It's a well written composition with four parts, each one having its own…

2 Jun 4, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

Blacksmith Rag (1920)..Harold Pinder aka Rednip

This is a tune suggested by Marc. I would describe it a crossover piece written at the end of the ragtime period and beginning of the 1920'…

6 Jun 3, 2016
Reply by Jody Stecher

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service