Can anyone give me some pointers on re-stringing this type of zither banjo so that the strings don't slip.  I haven't used this type before.  Thanks.  For some reason it is uploading sideways!

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't speak for the wire strings, but I am sure there are plenty of methods used by guitarists with those very same machines. 

For the nylon I have taken to using a technique employed by classical guitarists,  I use this on regular pegs as it is very simple and fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTKz9IvyVM&t=1s

Basically you feed the end of the string through the hole then bring it around the peg or roller and twist it around the string a few times.  Then wind the peg which secures the twist.   No knots, very fast, and easy to remove when that time comes. 

Carrie, what I do is exactly what I do with metal or soft strings on upright posts on banjo or guitar, but it's 90 degrees off. I don't know what you mean by "uploading sideways".  The only "uploading" I know about is in the digital/computer/internet realm. 

So for the treble side I point the hole toward the bridge and pull the string through all the way. Then I guide the end of the string back toward the post *along the inside edge*, guide it *under* the part of the string between the nut and post, and pull the string back towards the wooden part that runs the length of the headstock. I hold it there with a finger of one hand and with the other hand I tighten the string (sometimes with a string winder). Very soon the part that went under is locked. After that I can let go and turn until the string is in tune. Then I clip the string.  On the bass side I do the same but  the direction toward the middle is of course opposite.

Thanks Joel and Jody. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service