I was being taught Classic Banjo in the 1970s-1980 by Chris Sands here in the UK and at that time there was a magazine called FRETWIRE. They organised some very large events including this International one held in Manchester UK. I played at this event and then put the banjos back in their cases and under the bed, where they remained until a couple of years ago. I wonder if anyone attended this event (is there anyone else THAT old?)  or know what happened to FRETWIRE?

This is the event that permanently put me off Bluegrass playing. All players were stuffed into one small "warm up" room and this is where I was surrounded by approximately two hundred Earl Scruggs clones who's lack of talent was only compensated for by their volume and speed. Imagine a room full of Bluegrass players all playing a different set of licks and rolls at the same time, while I was trying to tune up..

Phaa!   Mediocre bluegrass players ......  a hex on them all !

:-)

Views: 1349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sandra.. you can't edit .tif files, what software are you using???  

I have sent them again for you in .jpg format along with details regarding the Hugo D'Alton and Robert Calcutt Mandolin Duet.

I use Camedia to edit pictures. That's great thanks to have them as jpg files but I couldn't see details of the duet sorry - have checked but only 1 file arrived for download which was the zip file. Sandra

thereallyniceman said:

Hi Sandra.. you can't edit .tif files, what software are you using???  

I have sent them again for you in .jpg format along with details regarding the Hugo D'Alton and Robert Calcutt Mandolin Duet.

Sandra.

..open the zip file and there are  3 files in there...including details about the setting up of Fretwire by Brian and Hazel Jacklin, and the Hugo D'Alton Duet too!

Ian

I was lucky enough to be taught banjo by Brian when he had his music shop in Crewe and play in his frets orchestra. In 1994 it was unusual for a 12 year old to play the banjo certainly I didn't know that many in the Crewe area! Just about to start rehearsing with the orchestra again with Shirlee, Brian's daughter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service