Hello Everyone, 

I was just browsing through the Trade Me website (New Zealand's equivalent of eBay) and came across what appears to be a 7 string banjo and case.  It is in need of repair.  Perhaps someone may know more about it. I at least thought some one here might be interested.

I don't think I am in a position to buy this right now (very little work for musicians at present), but I am happy to help if any one is interested and has difficulty purchasing or shipping on Trade Me. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/string/othe...

Regards,

Brett

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a 6 string.  The octave, or short string, dips off of the side of the fingerboard, hooks under a flat metal nub, and travels to the peghead along the side of the neck.

There will likely be "Buchanan's Improvement" or some such stamped on the peghead very lightly. 

They are interesting banjos and if you want a 6 stringer the get it.  I had one for while and pretty much never played it.  I did like the rim-- solid brass and formed like a bottle cap banjo.

Many of them had resonator back plates that were carved.

Thanks for the information.  Would an instrument such as this be tuned (G)GDGBD? The method book in the library here (by Herbert Ellis) gives this tuning and I'm guessing that this would be right.

Joel Hooks said:

It is a 6 string.  The octave, or short string, dips off of the side of the fingerboard, hooks under a flat metal nub, and travels to the peghead along the side of the neck.

There will likely be "Buchanan's Improvement" or some such stamped on the peghead very lightly. 

They are interesting banjos and if you want a 6 stringer the get it.  I had one for while and pretty much never played it.  I did like the rim-- solid brass and formed like a bottle cap banjo.

Many of them had resonator back plates that were carved.

Ballantine's tutor also has info on 6 string banjos.  I don't play them and they are not really on my radar to research so I will defer to others.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service