Absolutely fascinating little Podcast. 

Richard Ineson knows a bit about this guy.

We love the shock the family express on discovering their ancestor was in fact not a Spanish guitarist after all but but a banjo player!

I've ordered the vinyl so I'm going to wait to have a really close listen, but What do we think of the style - is it stroke or guitar?

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Russ,

Thanks for the really interesting podcast.  The recordings were discussed here a bit in May and I concur with the consensus opinion that Hold the Woodpile Down is primarily down stroke.  Some of his playing could be a bit of a mix, primarily downstroke with some finger picking.  These hybrid styles were learned by Uncle Dave Macon in America from early minstrel performers.

I would say the downstroke part is being done with a "thimble". 

Daniel Bradbury said:

Hello Russ,

Thanks for the really interesting podcast.  The recordings were discussed here a bit in May and I concur with the consensus opinion that Hold the Woodpile Down is primarily down stroke.  Some of his playing could be a bit of a mix, primarily downstroke with some finger picking.  These hybrid styles were learned by Uncle Dave Macon in America from early minstrel performers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service