Here's another of my favourites from Grimshaw for which I've written new score (more to follow)...Steve.

Views: 102

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This one is an interesting piece.  A few people play this at rallies.  I like to play it too.

What is interesting to me is how most people interpret it.  What I tend to hear is the intro played Rubato or Largo-- very slow.  Then they come out blazing fast like a horse race.

While I appreciate this interpretation and love that people make it their own, I've found that playing it at (or as near as I can) the tempo indicated is very effective. 

The race to the end speed test, while impressive, seems to lose the "haunting" nature of the piece.  More specifically, as was used when they first advertised it in 1926, "The Banshee is a Irish ghost ; The banjo solo "Banshee" will haunt you".

Hi Joel, I prefer to play it at a more sedate tempo as indicated on the original score. As you say, it's down to personal choice....Steve.

Joel Hooks said:

This one is an interesting piece.  A few people play this at rallies.  I like to play it too.

What is interesting to me is how most people interpret it.  What I tend to hear is the intro played Rubato or Largo-- very slow.  Then they come out blazing fast like a horse race.

While I appreciate this interpretation and love that people make it their own, I've found that playing it at (or as near as I can) the tempo indicated is very effective. 

The race to the end speed test, while impressive, seems to lose the "haunting" nature of the piece.  More specifically, as was used when they first advertised it in 1926, "The Banshee is a Irish ghost ; The banjo solo "Banshee" will haunt you".

I'm guessing it may be a ABF tradition to play it that way. Or perhaps they all heard Bill Ball play The Banshee with the post-intro parts played faster than the sheet music indicates.  The indicated tempo on the sheet music is that the first part should be played "Slowly" and the subsequent parts played "not too fast".  A quarter note (crotchet ) is indicated at 116 and 152 respectively.  I can't remember if I first encountered this Banjo Solo on a recording or via sheet music but I was immediately fascinated with it.  But after getting better acquainted with it I found the first part to be maudlin and not sufficiently musically connected to the subsequent parts to avoid feeling jolted by the transition. I think you are on to something here: If the first part were played not so very slowly and the subsequent parts just a bit faster it might hang together better.

Joel Hooks said:

hmm... IDK about ABF tradition.  The recording Frank Bradbury made is pretty close to the given tempo.

I hadn't heard that. Gosh, he plays it very well.  But , according to my Seiko metronome,  not at the given tempo. After the intro he plays between the 170s and 192. But he is so skillful and in control that it does not seem at all rushed.

Joel Hooks said:

hmm... IDK about ABF tradition.  The recording Frank Bradbury made is pretty close to the given tempo.

Yah, Bradbury's is too fast and too florid for my ears. Ball also pushes the tempo way out. I dont play it but if Steve's mp3 is at tempo, then I think I'd move it along a bit quicker too!

I could be mistaken, but I believe there are three regular banjos and a piano on that recording.   I think that is why his recordings tend to sound cluttered. 

Trapdoor2 said:

Yah, Bradbury's is too fast and too florid for my ears. Ball also pushes the tempo way out. I dont play it but if Steve's mp3 is at tempo, then I think I'd move it along a bit quicker too!

That would do it. I had thought there was another banjo in there...but wasn't sure.

Hi Marc, regarding the playing tempo, I set it as Grimshaw recommended on his original score with the intro at 116bpm and the dance at 152. Having said that, I don't think I've ever heard it played as such...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

That would do it. I had thought there was another banjo in there...but wasn't sure.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service