Here is another for Marc Smith to play with.  While it adds up, it does not seem plausible to play with exact time.  I have not been able to make much of it.  Stewart advertised it quite a bit so someone must have been able to play it.

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

 This piece seems to make sense to me. Maybe because I live in California.  Which measures seem nonsensical?

I'm assuming this is written for A tuning.  eAEG# B.

Yah, I've gotten the first two parts working. There are a couple printer's errors and two inexplicable missing beats in the repeats on the A part. I just added a rest to each.

It is a neat little piece...and I do love playing with this sort of thing. Thank you!

To me, it has a sort of stumbling, drunken dance rhythm. The grace note ornaments give it a bit of "air" but then it starts to stumble along again. I see a drunken '49er trying to hop about with one of the local 'ladies' in a saloon. I haven't finished with it, I hope he doesn't fall down!

That imagery seems about right to me.

Trapdoor2 said:

Yah, I've gotten the first two parts working. There are a couple printer's errors and two inexplicable missing beats in the repeats on the A part. I just added a rest to each.

It is a neat little piece...and I do love playing with this sort of thing. Thank you!

To me, it has a sort of stumbling, drunken dance rhythm. The grace note ornaments give it a bit of "air" but then it starts to stumble along again. I see a drunken '49er trying to hop about with one of the local 'ladies' in a saloon. I haven't finished with it, I hope he doesn't fall down!

The more I play this, the better I like it. I haven't put it into tab yet, so I don't really know how well it lays on the banjo. Still, this thing is full of drunken hiccups, a maudlin interlude, a return to the bar (nearly slipping off the end) and then a rousing finale.

Here it is in C-notation. I experimented with the missing beats in the first section's repeats but it doesn't fit with them missing. Adding the beat (via rests) sound better...but also if one simply converts the last note to a half-note/minim.

Attachments:

Every piece of banjo music published by Stewart was in A notation.

I don’t know what the first title published in C in the US was.  You would be safe in assuming that if it is sheet music published in the US before 1900 it is in A notation.

Jody Stecher said:

I'm assuming this is written for A tuning.  eAEG# B.

After playing it through a couple of times, I find that playing quarter notes, instead of two eight notes and then quarter notes, in the last bar, first section repeat, works quite well.  Makes more sence to me than putting a rest in there. On the other hand, maybe it's not supposed to make sence... :-)

Trapdoor2 said:

The more I play this, the better I like it. I haven't put it into tab yet, so I don't really know how well it lays on the banjo. Still, this thing is full of drunken hiccups, a maudlin interlude, a return to the bar (nearly slipping off the end) and then a rousing finale.

Here it is in C-notation. I experimented with the missing beats in the first section's repeats but it doesn't fit with them missing. Adding the beat (via rests) sound better...but also if one simply converts the last note to a half-note/minim.

Cool! Yes, that also works well. I'm not so sure the melody has to make sense...but it really ought to work out rhythmically. Dropping out or adding a measure of a traditional format (8 bar,16 bar, etc.) isn't all that uncommon but dropping a beat, especially in a "dance" is just wrong.


Pär Engstrand said:

After playing it through a couple of times, I find that playing quarter notes, instead of two eight notes and then quarter notes, in the last bar, first section repeat, works quite well.  Makes more sence to me than putting a rest in there. On the other hand, maybe it's not supposed to make sence... :-)

Trapdoor2 said:

The more I play this, the better I like it. I haven't put it into tab yet, so I don't really know how well it lays on the banjo. Still, this thing is full of drunken hiccups, a maudlin interlude, a return to the bar (nearly slipping off the end) and then a rousing finale.

Here it is in C-notation. I experimented with the missing beats in the first section's repeats but it doesn't fit with them missing. Adding the beat (via rests) sound better...but also if one simply converts the last note to a half-note/minim.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service