Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Richard!!!!!!!!!

I must have pressed the button twice for the first page. It's a good tune, I can't remember where Roseland is now.

Joel Hooks said:

Thank you Richard!!!!!!!!!

I'll print this out and mail a copy to Drew Frech.

I played through it last night several times and like it a lot.  The melody was familiar though and was driving me crazy. 

Then I remembered what I was thinking of, a piece by Thomas Armstrong published in a folio published by Wm. J. Smith titled "Love's Message Gavotte."  The first strain is very similar and could very well be a coincident as the theme is fairly obvious... unless the theme is some famous tune that I am not placing. 

I too, like the tune and it also has familiar feel to it for me. We played it many years ago and it just slipped from the repertoire for no reason. I look forward to hearing your revival of this pretty piece.

Joel Hooks said:

I'll print this out and mail a copy to Drew Frech.

I played through it last night several times and like it a lot.  The melody was familiar though and was driving me crazy. 

Then I remembered what I was thinking of, a piece by Thomas Armstrong published in a folio published by Wm. J. Smith titled "Love's Message Gavotte."  The first strain is very similar and could very well be a coincident as the theme is fairly obvious... unless the theme is some famous tune that I am not placing. 

Roseland is a peninsula in Cornwall, across Carrick Roads (estuary of the river Fal) from Falmouth (there's a ferry, I think). Lighthouse is called St. Anthony Head.

Supposed to be quite picturesque.

The tune sounds like it was taken from a song of some sort. Trem section...gaaack. 2nd banjo part is in Scruggs style. ;-)

The tremolo strain is pretty easy as far as these things go.  And not too long as to cause hand injuries. 

Yep, totally ripped from Sgruggs' as we know nobody played arpeggios on banjo before he played Reuben by accident while turning brass into crystal.  In fact, I read that before Sgruggs the banjo was merely a comedic prop that no two players played alike.

Trapdoor2 said:

Roseland is a peninsula in Cornwall, across Carrick Roads (estuary of the river Fal) from Falmouth (there's a ferry, I think). Lighthouse is called St. Anthony Head.

Supposed to be quite picturesque.

The tune sounds like it was taken from a song of some sort. Trem section...gaaack. 2nd banjo part is in Scruggs style. ;-)

My bad: tr~~~~~ is "trill", not "trem". AFAIK, Trill v Trem for plucked instruments may be interpreted as the same thing, esp. when the trill is extended (more than just a couple of notes). For individual notes, it should be interpreted as an ornament.

In messing about with that section, I find that not including the quavers sounds better (to me). IOW, Trem just the crochets = better. YMMV. (yes, I find using the UK terms to be easier to type than "1/4 note" or "1/8th note"...until we get to hemi-demi-semi-whatever)

Wait, am I missing something?

I would play this legato up until M25, where I would begin to finger waggle tremolo the stems up while playing stems down with my thumb for all notes under tr~~~~~~~~~.

Nope, that's a perfectly valid interpretation. I was just experimenting and discovered I liked playing it the way I described.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service