I have not seen an advertisement by Weaver, for Weaver Banjos, before.

(34 YEARS REPUTATION- REFUSE IMITATIONS)

None genuine unless bearing my Name.

I think that I need another one ;-)

Views: 441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very interesting document thank you for sharing it with us. Weaver advertised in 'The Cadenza' magazine, he also published a small leaflet explaining why he didn't adorn his banjos with intricate M.O.P. inlays, I was sent a copy of this leaflet, before the days of computers/scanners/photocopiers and so it wasn't the actually leaflet but just the words, typed out. I'll try to find it. An interesting thing about the St. Martin's Lane address is that this is where Chippendale (not the male stripper) had his premises. I seem to remember that Chippendales premises became rehearsal rooms used by the theatricals and that one of them (can't remember the name offhand) remarked that one of Chippendale's lathes was still in situ in the 1930s.

Something puzzles me. If Joe Morley was happy with his new Weaver banjo why did he immediately order another?  Why does a player need or want 2 pretty much identical banjos?   A backup in case one banjo is broken or stolen?  The need for symmetry? (one on either side of the room or one in each hand when walking) ?

All those reasons.   The question is :  "Why does he only want two"?   I have three... just in case.

The advert came from a Keynotes Magazine of 1913

Interesting that you could send just your flesh hoop (Vellum Wire) and have a head premounted...next day service too!

I'll echo Ian.  Why would he stop at two?

There is also the option of cash flow.  Morley could sell "his" banjo to fans at shows for a premium.  A common method of adding income for pros. 

Er.... only three?  I have four of different shapes and sizes!  And I still deny that I am a collector of banjos - I just like the feel of them.  (No person of taste and discernment can have too many Weaver banjos.)  It's also useful to play them all in rotation from time to time as each one has its unique selling (playing) point. 

It's interesting that Weaver used 'Refuse Imitations' in his ad.  I have a feeling he may have been parroting another manufacturer who had 'Refuse All Imitations' in his ad, but I can't remember who that was.  Can anyone else remember?

Regards

Tony

Interesting, Thanks for posting!

The small 10.5" 22 fret banjo is the "Special Thoroughbred" size, basically the Farland model put out by Stewart, pitched to D.

I like that he calls it a fad novelty.

A Weaver zither banjo? I would sure like to try one of those. Can't remember ever seeing one, but then on the other hand, that doesn't mean much.

Weaver zither banjos are not common, Paul Whyman had one and I've seen a couple more, I might have some photographs, I'll take a look. PW's zither banjo sounded very good, the equal of a 'Vibrante' but didn't have the 'country house' inlays and cross banding that you expect on a zither banjo.

I like the reference to not seeing expensive violins with any sort of decoration. I guess he never saw some of the more ornate Stradivarius violins... Ornamentation has been "normal" on violins, etc., since the very beginning.

I prefer a plain banjo to a fancy one, I think they look better.

I don't own a Weaver, but in my regular rotation is a CE Metal Hoop Special that could pass for a Weaver (except that it is better finished, with better metal).  Clearly one of the imitations he was warning people against. 

I am particularly fond of the aesthetics of Weavers and the various knockoffs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service