I have just been listening to the Tony Lidington radio documentary called Pierrot Hero, very good it is too, curious if anybody can tell me the name of the title music and, who is playing it, very jolly little piece methinks, thanks in advance for any info.

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just sent them a message asking.  Hopefully we will hear back.

howdy Joel who did you send a message to ? I never thought of messaging anybody, just thought it was a pretty little tune .

Joel Hooks said:

I just sent them a message asking.  Hopefully we will hear back.

Hi Nick, Sounds like Bunch of Rags by Vess Ossman. Great tune.!
A BUNCH of RAGS played by Vess Ossman

well, thank you everybody, now I know what to look out for on my next "tune learning" foray ! Curious how they chose an American player though for such a British subject innit ?

thereallyniceman said:

A BUNCH of RAGS played by Vess Ossman

Or maybe not?  Here are Clifford Essex and Syd Turner:

A BUNCH of RAGS played by Clifford Essex and Syd Turner

Quite interesting that they play in exactly the same tempo.... Or is that some "after-editing-thing"?

on re listening, I think that is the Essex version used in the radio broadcast but, who composed it ?
Pär Engstrand said:

Quite interesting that they play in exactly the same tempo.... Or is that some "after-editing-thing"?

I suspect Ossman composed it. There is another piece published in the period with the same name but it sounds nothing like Ossman's recording.

This has not been one of my favorites.  I would say Ossman arranged it as it is a medley of various songs. These medleys were pretty popular, though I imagine it had to do with people knowing the songs that are included (which I often don't).

George Lansing had a medley titled "Rag Pickings" which had nothing to do with piece FVE played of the the same title.  It is also filed with racist titled songs I had never heard of.

I figure the days of people recognizing medleys of even common songs like those by Stephen Foster tunes (which not to long ago were elementary school standards) are numbered.  When you get into the now obscure area of ragtime vocal songs...

Hey Nick, have you considered adding a banjo composition or two to your repertoire?  It seems so far you have focused on piano music arranged for banjo.  Have a look at the vast body of work composed for banjo, lots of great stuff to explore.

I never really knew that I was playing piano stuff as I have hitherto just learned any little tune I fancy, some of the marches I have copied from various recordings, some of brass bands ! I enjoy trying to isolate the oompah bass lines and attempting to copy them, of course I cannot get low enough and need to be creative ??? I have certainly come to value a decent fourth string though, coming primarily from a guitar background I sometimes wish for the "thump" of a dropped D !

Joel Hooks said:

This has not been one of my favorites.  I would say Ossman arranged it as it is a medley of various songs. These medleys were pretty popular, though I imagine it had to do with people knowing the songs that are included (which I often don't).

George Lansing had a medley titled "Rag Pickings" which had nothing to do with piece FVE played of the the same title.  It is also filed with racist titled songs I had never heard of.

I figure the days of people recognizing medleys of even common songs like those by Stephen Foster tunes (which not to long ago were elementary school standards) are numbered.  When you get into the now obscure area of ragtime vocal songs...

Hey Nick, have you considered adding a banjo composition or two to your repertoire?  It seems so far you have focused on piano music arranged for banjo.  Have a look at the vast body of work composed for banjo, lots of great stuff to explore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service