Naked banjo player holds off cops for 2 hours with "music"

The following has banjo relevance.

Like so many others I've been following the news of the long morning gun battle in St Denis. I was puzzled as to why the survivors were *naked*!

what?

I did a web search for "paris,standoff naked". Nothing about France showed up but instead I found a story about a strange young man in Vancouver, Washington (it's just across the border from Portland, Oregon) who was walking around the neighborhood naked, wielding a knife. Police followed him home. He went inside, put on some shorts, brought out a sitar (unreported by the media but clearly seen in the video), went inside again, brought out a banjo and began to serenade the cops with random notes, accompanied by occasional prancing. According to the news story he held the cops at bay for 2 hours with his horrifying banjo music until one enterprising officer brought the banjo terrorist to his knees with a projectile surmised to be a rubber bullet.  I just don't understand. He looks rather harmless to me. Any well trained cop could have subdued him with a well placed diminished chord played on a leaky accordion in need of at tuning.  And I still don't know why the Paris (St Denis) gunmen were led out of the building naked. 

http://www.kptv.com/story/29636603/vancouver-man-arrested-after-biz...

Views: 2886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jody,

I'm sure most of us have been following the situation in Paris closely. Coming from a French (Canadian) heritage and having a wife who flies and travels extensively for work, the situation is especially distressing.  

The naked suspects (great name for a band) were probably stripped to ensure they aren't wearing any hidden explosive devices.

As far as our fellow "banjo player", interesting banjo related clip!

Upon a first viewing, I was more worried that he would actually play well. Can you imagine if he ripped through Zarana or even Train 45???? Thank God he was a poser! I would have been impressed and ashamed at the same time. What would that say for us?

I love that he gently laid down the sitar at first and how the banjo was propped up at the garage in the aftermath by someone else. I guess everyone involved respects musical instruments at some level.

The rubber bullet did seem excessive. A well placed tackle, a subtle mist of pepper spray, or personal insult would make him stop him from playing (at least that's how my wife does it).

Alternatively,  they only needed sheet music. The old joke goes something like this: "How do you stop someone from playing the banjo? Give them some sheet music" (present company excluded, of course).

Thanks for the post!

Thanks for the reply, Dave.  Yes, it's a distressing awful situation in Paris.  The reporting from there originally said there were several naked prisoners but later changed it to one. And all over the internet news there's a photo of him from behind, dressed from neck to waist and bare below that and being led down the street like that by the police.  It's a very odd way to take a prisoner. I'm not sure I believe it but today I was told by a friend who is a retired army officer that one actual possible effect of a small bomb blast is to knock the clothes off nearby people! Or maybe the guy in Paris was so afraid he s*** his pants! I can easily imagine the cops looking him over, saying "No way is he riding in OUR car like that", hosing him down,  and then taking him a prisoner and marching him down the street without any pants on. (?). Whatever the reason it's very bizarre.  

I like your joke.

Dave Houle said:

Hi Jody,

I'm sure most of us have been following the situation in Paris closely. Coming from a French (Canadian) heritage and having a wife who flies and travels extensively for work, the situation is especially distressing.  

The naked suspects (great name for a band) were probably stripped to ensure they aren't wearing any hidden explosive devices.

As far as our fellow "banjo player", interesting banjo related clip!

Upon a first viewing, I was more worried that he would actually play well. Can you imagine if he ripped through Zarana or even Train 45???? Thank God he was a poser! I would have been impressed and ashamed at the same time. What would that say for us?

I love that he gently laid down the sitar at first and how the banjo was propped up at the garage in the aftermath by someone else. I guess everyone involved respects musical instruments at some level.

The rubber bullet did seem excessive. A well placed tackle, a subtle mist of pepper spray, or personal insult would make him stop him from playing (at least that's how my wife does it).

Alternatively,  they only needed sheet music. The old joke goes something like this: "How do you stop someone from playing the banjo? Give them some sheet music" (present company excluded, of course).

Thanks for the post!

As my contribution to the research that Jody has done on naked banjo players, I, foolishly, typed "banjo nude" into Google images.

HEALTH WARNING:  Make sure that your mother has turned on "Parental Controls" before you browse as what popped up would rapidly induce blindness !!!  :-)

One thing that was obvious is that the banjo really does bring out the worst in both men and women, and by the look of the images has always done so !!

One thing before YOU have a go...

Please remember that although playing the banjo does make you a "Chick Magnet" it is not a sexy instrument and it is not clever to post your nudie pics on here!! This rule does not apply to Lady members, of course ;-)

Here are a few of my finds, so the nervous should look away now!

:-))

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service