Hi Gang,

Had some time this weekend to do a bit of Ol' Joe: "Moonlight Revels".

I was sorting thru my stacks, ran across it and thought, "hmm. I don't recall seeing this one before." After keying in the 1st, I listened to it and thought, "hmm. Haven't I heard it somewhere?"

Yup. It was recorded by Bill Ball and released on a CD "Just William" (which I have around here somewhere).

I haven't had a chance to photograph the dots...so you'll have to settle for the TAB and MIDI for the moment. Tomorrow is a holiday here, so maybe I'll get a snap of all the dots then. I don't have a piano part, perhaps someone else can add that?

Views: 246

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You will be pleased to know that I have just transcribed "Moonlight Revels" onto the "Works of Joe Morley" section, and it will appear shortly.  A great piece, which is another underplayed work by the master.

I have just listened to your Midi for "Midnight Revels".  Well done.  I particularly liked your slides which I am unable to reproduce on my program, and I have to use a glissando which is not quite correct of course.  I use Music Time de Luxe, and have done for a couple of decades. It is beginning to show it age, and will crash if mistreated, although it has all the features that i need (except of course a nice slide). Can I ask what you are using, and whether it will produce a .mus file at the end of it?

Hi Anthony,
I use "TablEdit" which is specifically targeted to creating tablature. It does output notation...but I have never figured out how to get it to enlarge the note font. The default is tiny for some reason.

Since its creator is a guitarist, he spent a lot of time working on guitar effects (like slides, etc.). One of the great things about it is that its creator continues to improve it and is very open to suggestions, etc. I just wish it had a decent soundfont for banjo...!

I don't think it will produce .mus files. It will output ASCII, HTML, ABC, RTF, MIDI, NIFF, Lilypond and WAV formats. It will import from ASCII, MIDI, ABC, Bucket O' Tab, TabRite, and Wayne Cripps files.

While it will produce Barre/Position Barre and all the banjo fingering required (Dynamic markings, etc., too), it is a right pain to do so...almost doubling my input time to produce a 'complete' score.

Thank you for this information.  All my work is in "standard" notation, and produces either .mus or .midi files.  It does very well, and I think odes everything that a banjo player would need, and I have always found it satisfactory.  Of late, however, a built in fault causes it to crash, (a problem to do with lack of memory when copy/pasting), which can be very frustrating.  I do wish it had a nice slide like TablEdit, but MTDLX will have to do with a glissando.

Thank you for this helpful information, and I hope that you are finding the Morley page useful.
Trapdoor2 said:

Hi Anthony,
I use "TablEdit" which is specifically targeted to creating tablature. It does output notation...but I have never figured out how to get it to enlarge the note font. The default is tiny for some reason.

Since its creator is a guitarist, he spent a lot of time working on guitar effects (like slides, etc.). One of the great things about it is that its creator continues to improve it and is very open to suggestions, etc. I just wish it had a decent soundfont for banjo...!

I don't think it will produce .mus files. It will output ASCII, HTML, ABC, RTF, MIDI, NIFF, Lilypond and WAV formats. It will import from ASCII, MIDI, ABC, Bucket O' Tab, TabRite, and Wayne Cripps files.

While it will produce Barre/Position Barre and all the banjo fingering required (Dynamic markings, etc., too), it is a right pain to do so...almost doubling my input time to produce a 'complete' score.

Hi Anthony, for the past 12 years I've used Finale Printmuisic, I've used the 2011 edition for all of my arrangements so far but at some time I will upgrade to a more up to date version. PM produces mus files and is reasonably easy to use. If you want to try it, Finale do a 30 day free trial and it may be something you could consider. From my own experiences, I would certainly recommend it.....Steve.
Anthony Peabody said:

Thank you for this information.  All my work is in "standard" notation, and produces either .mus or .midi files.  It does very well, and I think odes everything that a banjo player would need, and I have always found it satisfactory.  Of late, however, a built in fault causes it to crash, (a problem to do with lack of memory when copy/pasting), which can be very frustrating.  I do wish it had a nice slide like TablEdit, but MTDLX will have to do with a glissando.

Thank you for this helpful information, and I hope that you are finding the Morley page useful.
Trapdoor2 said:

Hi Anthony,

Steve, thank you for this.  I have used the free trial of Finale, and it does essentially the same as MTDLX.  A little more complicated I think, but if MTDLX can't resolve crashing problems, I may well decamp.  The beauty of MTDLX is that it is simple to use, and has most of what a banjoist might want, apart from slides that is.  MTDLX also has a big Brother in Encore which is quite expensive, whereas MTDLX is relatively inexpensive (still not cheap as chips, but certainly affordable).

You might look into "Musescore" https://musescore.org/

Big plus, its freeware!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service