Thought fellow CB members may enjoy this performance by UK multi-instrumentalist, Martin Wheatley: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWah_1mb4P8

He also plays tenor banjo on a great album of 1920s jazz by The Vitality 5: Syncopation Gone Mad.

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many years ago when a young chap, I foolhardedly had a go at learning and recording this. I soon realised that it was best left to the experts, like Fred Van Eps and Martin Wheatley.

If you would like a try, I did a note by note, finger by finger transposition at the time and this is available in the MUSIC LIBRARY..  Good Luck!

It is best not to talk about my recording :-)))

That looks really difficult!  Even Martin Wheatley makes a few fluffs but by the end of the performance he is properly warmed-up and White-wash Man is superb! 

thereallyniceman said:

Many years ago when a young chap, I foolhardedly had a go at learning and recording this. I soon realised that it was best left to the experts, like Fred Van Eps and Martin Wheatley.

If you would like a try, I did a note by note, finger by finger transposition at the time and this is available in the MUSIC LIBRARY..  Good Luck!

It is best not to talk about my recording :-)))

I have not been playing for a while due to a shoulder and trapped nerve problem but recently I had a go at Whitewash Man... and that was just as difficult.

I have attached the score for that below.

Whitewash Man pages one and two.

attached

Attachments:

Thanks for uploading the scores, Ian - sorry to hear about your trapped nerve problem but good to hear you are still playing.   I just had a look at the transcription in key of F - I did notice that Martin was playing it differently to the Steve Harrison arrangement which is in key of C (in the library also).  It's a great tune, very jolly!

I enjoyed that! Thank you, Carrie!

While I might give "Whitewash Man" a go, I think I'll take Ian's advice and let my betters rag the scale...

Hi Marc, I wrote an arrangement of Whitewash Man some time back and you'll find it in the library...Steve.
Trapdoor2 said:

I enjoyed that! Thank you, Carrie!

While I might give "Whitewash Man" a go, I think I'll take Ian's advice and let my betters rag the scale...

Just spotted this ! All of the numbers are from Van Eps recordings. I did write some of them out, I'll have a look...

Here's The Whitewash Man. I haven't put any fingering in but I'm happy to do so if anyone wants to play it

Attachments:

Thanks for posting the pdf Martin.  I was just watching your performance again and marvelling at the fact you have memorized these difficult pieces!  

Martin Wheatley said:

Here's The Whitewash Man. I haven't put any fingering in but I'm happy to do so if anyone wants to play it

Thanks Carrie ! I find I have to memorize them to stand a chance. Just looked at the PDF I posted and have spotted some things that aren't right which I changed and didn't get round to changing in the music. I'll edit it and post again.

Thanks Martin, It is very good to see you here!

I really like Whitewash Man and would love to see your "new" score and if you could add any hints on fret positions, or the way you have found it best to play that would great as I will try it out again ;-)

Ian, thereallyniceman

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service