I can't find this piece in the library here or in my collection of Cammeyer compositions, but based on this review I'd like to get hold of it:

"La Caresse is a gem full of the finest harmonies the composer ever conceived, and must be heard again and again for anyone to fully fathom its beauties." The Banjo World April-September 1922

Anyone got a copy?

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If y'all want me to transcribe it (musescore), i would be happy to do so. Being a waltz, it shouldn't take an hour to do.

I'm already on measure 15! :-) But thanks fr'offerin!

Strange that 'La Caresse' has not come my way, in the printed version, over the past 60 years, I suppose that sales were not quite what might have been hoped and consequently not many printed copies have survived (Cammeyer had all of his copper plates destroyed when he retired as he couldn't find a music publisher who would buy them). A. Milverton must have thought it a worthwhile piece to devote the time to copying it out by hand. As regards being a scarcity, it is not alone as I still have a few bits and pieces missing from my collection (bearing in mind that I haven't been searching actively for any more banjo music or anything else banjo related for some time) I still buy the odd thing now and then but I don't have the interest in the banjo which I once had.

Rob MacKillop said:

That's exactly what I have, Richard. Thanks for looking anyway. I might take the time to type it out in Musescore sometime. 

Marc, I give in! How do you show an open 5th-string in the traditional classic-banjo way? I need to write a quarter-note stem down with a 16th-note indicator stem up for the 5th string. Searching the Help file hasn't helped at all. 

Trapdoor2 said:

If y'all want me to transcribe it (musescore), i would be happy to do so. Being a waltz, it shouldn't take an hour to do.

It is a complete PITA, Rob. If I remember correctly, you have to set those notes as a separate "voice". Then, lone notes like that will populate the measures with a pile of rests...that you have to individually make "invisible". And...I've struggled occasionally with note-head direction as well. They just didn't consider Classic Banjo notation when they wrote Musescore...

I finally gave up too...if I'm going to publish notation, I use the "o" fingering to indicate "open" on those notes. Otherwise it makes the job much harder!

Can somebody send the MS to me? Now I'm curious enough to attack it...

Rob MacKillop said:

Marc, I give in! How do you show an open 5th-string in the traditional classic-banjo way? I need to write a quarter-note stem down with a 16th-note indicator stem up for the 5th string. Searching the Help file hasn't helped at all. 

Trapdoor2 said:

Got you. Thanks. That seems a practical solution for a lazy man :-)

You know me too well! ;-)

Rob MacKillop said:

Got you. Thanks. That seems a practical solution for a lazy man :-)

Hi Rob, Did you get to the bottom of La Caresse? Were the harmonies as melting as was promised? Did you 'fathom its beauties'? If you've finished work on the score, I'd love to hear it.

of 

Rob MacKillop said:

I'm already on measure 15! :-) But thanks fr'offerin!

Cheers, Richard. I finished a first draft with the intention of checking it through the following day, but on that day two banjos arrived in my house - a Cammeyer Vibrant Royal and CE XX Special - and I’ve been preoccupied with them since. I’ll get back to the score, and share it here for proofing and hopefully playing. I only heard the computer software play it, and it did sound a bit mystifying in places, but that might have been my typesetting! Watch this space.

Sure, I can send it to you. I'll need an email address.

Trapdoor2 said:

Sent.

Jody Stecher said:

Sure, I can send it to you. I'll need an email address.

Trapdoor2 said:

In bars 73/74 it is tempting to do the easy fingering of the following two bars in the 4th position, but this would change the harmonies in 74 radically from the handwritten score. And here's our problem: how accurate is the handwritten score? 

The bars around 67/68 are slightly odd, but my 21st-century ear wants to accept them. 

I'm OK with the rest of it, though. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service