King Porter Stomp (1905)...Ferdinand (Jelly Roll) Morton.

Now for something completely different! This is one of Morton's most popular tunes which has now become a jazz standard.

Although first recorded by Morton in 1923, he claims to have written it in 1905. As a piece of jazz, there wasn't a definitive score available from which to work, so I cobbled together this arrangement by listening to a number of midis and recordings, all of which differed, and using a transcription of his 1923 recording.

It should be played with a lot of bounce but I've only added the dotted notes in the first part, the remaining parts I've left 'straight' as much of it is open to personal interpretation. 

I first played this over 40 years ago in my younger days when I played rag time guitar and was curious to see if a classic banjo arrangement was possible. The resulting score and midi are in the library....Steve.

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do enjoy Mr. Morton's stuff. I have several CDs of it. "King Porter", I dunno. It has never been one of my favorites...to me it doesn't have a well defined 'hook' like some of his other stuff. Probably my favorite of his is "Wolverine Blues".

Your arrangement compares quite well with the original, no issues with that at all.

I love Fats Waller too...I have a buddy (a singer) who has been trying to get me to learn "Your Feet's Too Big". On the banjo? =8^0

Hi Marc, I haven't as yet found a score for Wolverine blues but I have ripped the notes out of a midi and it certainly looks doable. It should be playable on banjo, I'll put it on my 'to do' pile. Some of the other Morton stuff has possibilities as well....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

I do enjoy Mr. Morton's stuff. I have several CDs of it. "King Porter", I dunno. It has never been one of my favorites...to me it doesn't have a well defined 'hook' like some of his other stuff. Probably my favorite of his is "Wolverine Blues".

Your arrangement compares quite well with the original, no issues with that at all.

I love Fats Waller too...I have a buddy (a singer) who has been trying to get me to learn "Your Feet's Too Big". On the banjo? =8^0

Steve Harrison said:

Hi Marc, I haven't as yet found a score for Wolverine blues but I have ripped the notes out of a midi and it certainly looks doable. It should be playable on banjo, I'll put it on my 'to do' pile. Some of the other Morton stuff has possibilities as well....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

I have Horace Craddy's banjo arrangement of Wolverine Blues Steve, I will see if I can find it, ie I may have it here in Cyprus.

Thanks Mike...Steve.
Mike Redman said:

Steve Harrison said:

Trapdoor2 said:

I have Horace Craddy's banjo arrangement of Wolverine Blues Steve, I will see if I can find it, ie I may have it here in Cyprus.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service