Hi, there are plenty of these on ebay, but given the age of them I would rather get one that has been properly restored by a luthier who knows about this instrument - is this possible?

Ritchie

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have often been tempted by a sweet banjo for sale but, always shied away when the only method is postage ! I was a postman in a previous life and, I know how parcels are sorted !

David Wade said:

Present company excepted buddy!

Very embarrasing situation....

If the contents of a parcel are properly packed the likelihood of damage is limited. This is physics. Convincing a seller/sender to do a proper packing job is another matter entirely. That is psychology. 

nick stephens said:

I have often been tempted by a sweet banjo for sale but, always shied away when the only method is postage ! I was a postman in a previous life and, I know how parcels are sorted !

David Wade said:

Present company excepted buddy!

Very embarrasing situation....

I should clarify that 

1) I have both sent and received banjos and other, more fragile instruments, through various shipping agencies, and only once was there breakage: I received a seriously broken instrument that was seriously wrongly packed for shipping.

2) I didn't mean to imply that anyone on this forum has not properly packed a shipped instrument.  Sent items do get broken even when one does everything right. But the likelihood is small.  A postal worker can break anything if he puts his mind to it.

Jody Stecher said:

If the contents of a parcel are properly packed the likelihood of damage is limited. This is physics. Convincing a seller/sender to do a proper packing job is another matter entirely. That is psychology. 

nick stephens said:

I have often been tempted by a sweet banjo for sale but, always shied away when the only method is postage ! I was a postman in a previous life and, I know how parcels are sorted !

David Wade said:

Present company excepted buddy!

Very embarrasing situation....

Hi, just to say - I bought a ZB off gumtree for £50. No makers name, very very dirty, no tension in the head, metal work a bit corroded, neck almost straight. Question is what do I use to clean all the metal parts - dont know what types of metal they are? It looks like the neck just screws into the hoop with two big screws, not sure i should diseemble it, as i say its not badly off. theres a little screw just above then which doesnt seem to do anything? I'm going to fit a new skin, can you use a remo on these or does it have to be real skin?   Any advice would be very helpful, thanks.

Hi Richie, I find that Autosol chrome cleaner bought from a local motor parts shop does the job....Steve.

ritchie thomson said:

Hi, just to say - I bought a ZB off gumtree for £50. No makers name, very very dirty, no tension in the head, metal work a bit corroded, neck almost straight. Question is what do I use to clean all the metal parts - dont know what types of metal they are? It looks like the neck just screws into the hoop with two big screws, not sure i should diseemble it, as i say its not badly off. theres a little screw just above then which doesnt seem to do anything? I'm going to fit a new skin, can you use a remo on these or does it have to be real skin?   Any advice would be very helpful, thanks.

Thanks Steve, sounds like a good option

My advice Richie is not to buy a derelict zither as you can get a perfectly set up and restored instrument for less than it would cost to refurbish a knacker!

Contact David Wade on here. David always has lovely, named and refurbished  zither banjos for sale at very reasonable prices... or simply ask HIS advice!

I totally agree with Ian. Unless you have fun fixing banjos, then it of course makes sence to buy banjos that need work.

The zither banjo can be a really wonderfull instrument. I myself have fallen in love with it and play almost exclusively zither banjo. The zither banjo can also be a horrible instrument, when it is of bad quality or in a state that does not let it be set-up properly. David Wade would be the man to contact.

If you want to fix the banjo, pictures would sure help to see what is going on there. And for people to be able to judge what would have to be done. You will have to put a natural skin head on it, unless you would find a drum head that would fit or special order from Remo, or other company. In the end I guess that would be more hassle than reward...

Well, thanks Ian but its too late I bought it! I quite fancied tinkering with it, and if I mess it up I havent lost much. The good news is that the hoop is pretty much still circular and the neck only has the slightest of bows, fretboard is a bit worn but not too bad and there is some fretware. . I have taken it all apart and cleaned it and ordered a new skin, bridge and strings. 

Yes i probably should have bought a properly done up one from Dave, probably will have to when my restoration attempts fail, but Dave wasnt too keen on posting them. 

Hi Richie, I am not trying to be clever but, from my experience, I know that Zither banjos fetch very little money... except for a few special exceptions.  Auction sites are stuffed with them and they usually sell for next to nothing.

Here is an example on 24th November Auction at:

https://www.pbauctioneers.co.uk/ ;  

By the time you have bought a tube of polish, a new vellum, bits that are missing you could have bought a good one. I too like fiddling so I perfectly understand. 

:-)

I know you're right Ian, but I didnt like to think of it going to the tip, and the fellow I bought it off needed the money. I reckon my total cost (excluding labour!) will be £85, and I'm not expecting to sell it for a profit, its just for fun. If I get it working Ill post a video to show you what a great job I've done and how well a modest ZB scrubbs up! 

Looking forward to it already :-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service