Hi, there are plenty of these on ebay, but given the age of them I would rather get one that has been properly restored by a luthier who knows about this instrument - is this possible?

Ritchie

Views: 1120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ritchie - are you in the UK? I think you're right that any Ebay Zither will probably need some luthier set-up/restoration work.  They often seem to have really high string action.   I collected one from an Ebay seller when I was in Kent last year and took it to The Banjo Works (Andy Banjo) who did some work: replacing the vellum, lowering the string action and tightening the machine heads.  I put on the correct bridge and strings (sourced from Clifford Essex).   Another recommended banjo luthier is Dave Stacey (in the UK)

You could also try and message David Wade and Keith Wilson as they know about banjos and often have zither banjos for sale at the classic banjo rallies.

Thanks, Carrie,  buying from ebay makes me nervous, you just dont know how many problems there could be. I will follow up the names you mentioned. 

I am constantly looking for zither banjos on eBay. The trick is, I guess, is to take your time and most importantly, be lucky! Of course it also helps to know what to look for, in the case of problem areas. For instance, a high action and a low bridge is a sign of the instrument having a forward bow. In most cases that is a no no.

I have been very lucky buying zither banjos from eBay. I spent all in all about 450 punds + shipping for all 4 zither banjos I have and three of them are really good players that needed little work. The third would need quite a lot of work to make it well playable and even then I don't think it is a very good instrument. But, as I said, I think I have been very lucky. Maybe I'll make of video of my zither banjos one day, to show what one can get with a bit of luck and patience. Sometimes I have the feeling, zither banjos is the only area on eBay where one still can find a good bargain.

I buy and restore Windsor Zither banjos.  I have a few for sale now. Where are you located? I am in the US.  I would be happy to pass along some pictures and info for what I have.   All are excelemt players, but some have minor cosmetic issues I have yet to address.....  Got to the point where I moght need an extra room just to store them, so it's anout tome to let a few go away to good homes...

Hi Thanks, however I am in the UK and I m hoping to pick up a local one. 

Thanks

definitely contact David Wade in Yorkshire, he knows ZBs and often has good ones for sale, likewise Keith Wilson is worth talking to also.

ritchie thomson said:

Hi Thanks, however I am in the UK and I m hoping to pick up a local one. 

Thanks

Hi,

Yes I have a couple of restored z-bs that would have been on my stall at the Clowne Rally - maybe Backwell ...where are you based?

HI, thanks for replying. In Edinburgh, so quite a long way from you I'm guessing?

Hi Ritchie, sorry for delay in getting back to you....strange times.

I'm based in Leeds/Bradford area. But under current conditions we can't even meet up half way!

I am a little apprehensive about shipping z-bs - I sent one down South before the shutdown and it got damaged by the courier.

Probably best to email me - david@davidwwade.co.uk

Hi will email, thanks

Hi David, I guess that proves once and for all that ya cant trust a southerner with a good old zither banjo !

ritchie thomson said:

Hi will email, thanks

Present company excepted buddy!

Very embarrasing situation....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service