Pity that it doesn't mention which year it is!

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well, I think I can manage the two bob entrance fee but, we are locked down here, pity !

As Miss Dewhiust is mentioned that pins it down to the years 1892 -1900. I'll take a look at Anthony Peabody's treatise on the works of Joe Morley which contains a some newspaper clippings one of which might mention this performance. Offhand I would say that this was an early performance of the Pierrot Banjo Team but mention of it being in aid of the 'Mayor's Jubilee Hospital Fund' might indicate that it was Queen Victoria's Jubilee year which was 1897.

November 27 was on Saturday in 1897.  That is your year.  Richard nailed it.

Nick,

You may have thought twice about putting up two bob for a reserved seat back in 1897.  According to the calculator of relative values, it's about the equivalent of £40 today, based on income.  Paying a fiver to stand at the back certainly seems a bit steep.  I wonder if they would have let you bring a shooting stick or a folding chair?  Perhaps they were just more used to standing in those days.  This was not poor people's entertainment, by any measure. 

Regards

Tony

many scholars have wondered how Shakespeares audiences could afford to see his plays back in the day, they too were very ambitiously priced for their day, however the history books show that people most assuredly did pay for the privilege of sitting on the floor for a performance, £40 would not buy you a decent ticket to a top tier concert in London today !

TONY BRYAN said:

Nick,

You may have thought twice about putting up two bob for a reserved seat back in 1897.  According to the calculator of relative values, it's about the equivalent of £40 today, based on income.  Paying a fiver to stand at the back certainly seems a bit steep.  I wonder if they would have let you bring a shooting stick or a folding chair?  Perhaps they were just more used to standing in those days.  This was not poor people's entertainment, by any measure. 

Regards

Tony

Good old Vicky, she had two Jubilees, the gold in 1887 and the Diamond in 1897, our present monarch is heading for  her platinum Jubilee in 2022, lets' hope that she makes it, she's 94 at present.

Joel Hooks said:

November 27 was on Saturday in 1897.  That is your year.  Richard nailed it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service