not enough chatter here for me so, I am going to talk aimlessly as I am wont to do sometimes (often) have lately been pondering the question of which strings to use on my Whyte Laydie just cannot get my hands on enough different sets to experiment so, for now its the CE lights that are doing it for me they sound OK but, I would still like to feel a bit more tension under my fingers, I am quite heavy handed you see ! I like a brittle sharp nasally sound cos my hearing is shot away I guess and so, the search continues, is it just me or does everybody else's banjo sound better than mine ? the old CE Weaver is set up nicely and sounding sharp, pretty decent however there is always the rub ! I dislike the clubby feel to the neck in the upper reaches of the dusty end, the spoon heel looks good but I do not find it user friendly at all ! Anything else ? oh yes, I have been learning the Maple Leaf Rag lately and, am surprised that it is not as difficult as I had feared being mostly chord based, struggling however to play that pesky run up in G minor fluently and, of course it is one of the nicest parts of the whole piece so, no avoiding it ! As if I would avoid it anyway ! there you have it, I have dried up now so, thats me done !

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's because we are all busy practising! :-)

Well, I just moved the whole house 500mi East...and it will be months before I can find anything again. The old place sold in 2 days but it will be the ides of March before the papers are signed; April before the money from the sale can be used.

The new place is nice but the dog doesn't like his new yard. The soil is so soft that he can dig under the fence in just a few minutes. I'm installing a 'rabbit wire' (just enough zap to get his attention) but I somehow twisted my back this morning and now I can't bend down to run the wire.

My new banjo shed is about half-done...but probably will be April before I can start building benches and cabinets therein.

The new house has an outstanding wrap-around front porch but it has only been warm enough for banjoing one day since we arrived Feb 7. Since my music room is packed to the gills with unopened moving boxes, I could reach only one banjo (fretless minstrel banjo). I attempted to give it a good thrashing but found my skillset has gone missing...probably lost in one of those packing boxes.

well, obviously we are not all busy practising, house moving sounds too much like hard work to me so, I think I shall stay right here and perhaps.... practise a little !

Trapdoor2 said:

Well, I just moved the whole house 500mi East...and it will be months before I can find anything again. The old place sold in 2 days but it will be the ides of March before the papers are signed; April before the money from the sale can be used.

The new place is nice but the dog doesn't like his new yard. The soil is so soft that he can dig under the fence in just a few minutes. I'm installing a 'rabbit wire' (just enough zap to get his attention) but I somehow twisted my back this morning and now I can't bend down to run the wire.

My new banjo shed is about half-done...but probably will be April before I can start building benches and cabinets therein.

The new house has an outstanding wrap-around front porch but it has only been warm enough for banjoing one day since we arrived Feb 7. Since my music room is packed to the gills with unopened moving boxes, I could reach only one banjo (fretless minstrel banjo). I attempted to give it a good thrashing but found my skillset has gone missing...probably lost in one of those packing boxes.

Just been reading this months edition of Banjo Newsletter (I get the online edition).  It features a nice profile of Aaron Jonah Lewis by CB site member, Tom Ryan.  I was interested to hear about Aaron's approach to practicing and selection of pieces.  It does take a mad focus to learn any CB piece with their 3, 4 parts and repeating sections.  

Look forward to hearing 'Maple Leaf Rag' - Eddie Collins does a nice version in Key of C bluegrass style on youtube.

Good luck with constructing your banjo shed, Marc!

Right, back to practicing :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service