Birthday Party Waltz, by Horace Weston - Sheet music? Recording/s?

Forwarding a message from a fellow strings teacher:

"This month I have been having my students sight read music from "Music by Black Composers." The compilation is by Rachel Barton Pine. It's a nice book with duets (and piano) and bios of the composers. Composers are from many different countries and time periods. There is also a website to hear recordings of the songs performed by violinists from the Sphinx Soloist Program. "The Birthday Party Waltz" by Horace Weston is written for banjo, yet I can't find a recording done by a banjo player. Have you ever played it?"

I have not played it, nor have I found the sheet music on this site. Does anybody have the sheet music? Has anyone ever played it or have links to any banjo performances of it? Any additional info about the piece would be most welcome. Thanks!

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aaron, if we ever have another rally we should keep a copy of this for "sight reading" fun. 

If you explore A notation there is a HUGE volume of just this sort of thing.

These easy pieces seem to me to be social music.  Get together with your friends and you can all play them without any practice (or even seeing them before).  They are not finger-busters, but they are musical. 

Absolutely! That’s a great idea. Last time we got together and had a big jovial sight reading session was so much fun. I’d love to do that again. 

Joel Hooks said:

Aaron, if we ever have another rally we should keep a copy of this for "sight reading" fun. 

If you explore A notation there is a HUGE volume of just this sort of thing.

These easy pieces seem to me to be social music.  Get together with your friends and you can all play them without any practice (or even seeing them before).  They are not finger-busters, but they are musical. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service