A Night In Egypt (Oriental Foxtrot)..1917..Charles R. Shibley

This is a one off, self published composition by a composer about whom I could find no information. It's typical of the genre that was popular in its day and one that I quite like. For the rapid run of triplets in bars 51 and 59, my suggested fingering leans towards playing it melodic style using alternate open strings. In the third part, there is a chorus from bar 52 to the end to which I've added the lyrics. UK members of a certain age could almost envisage the British music hall and variety entertainers, Wilson, Keppel and Betty strutting their sand dance to this, in particular the second part. (Check out YouTube).  The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 140

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also like these Oriental-themed pieces, especially on banjo.  The idea is silly and the music rarely has much in common with the music of the named geographic locations, but that doesn't mean the music is not enjoyable.  I have questions about the triplet runs you've mentioned.  I'm trying them as you suggested and all is well until I reach the third triplet. The first triplet is ITM (, + ..) on strings 3, 4 and 2.  No problem. Then comes TMI (+ .. .) on strings 3, 1 and 2. No problem. But now the last triplet is marked as being played at frets 6, 0 and 7.  That would be strings 2, 5 and 1. In isolation that would start with the index and be like this: ITM (. + .. ) and there's my problem. The second triplet ends with an index stoke and the third triplet begins with an index stroke. It's not a challenge at slow speed but I'd rather avoid consecutive strokes with the same finger at rapid speed. I can get the same triplet by playing F on the 1st string starting with the middle finger, getting G on the open 5th string with the thumb and ending with A on fret 7 on the first string using either the middle or index. I also tried TMT or TIT, getting the A on the 5th string fretted, also at 7 but I found this awkward. My first question is : When you play the third triplet what right hand fingers are you using? Maybe there's another way I am not seeing.

My next question is about the 5P indication. What position is this? The first triplet is at fret 7, the second at fret 5 and the third at fret 6. So why is there a 5P position indication for the entire measure?  Again, I may be missing something. Maybe what is meant here is that the lowest fret in the measure is fret 5. Is that right?

Hi Jody, I play the triplets using first and thumb beginning with the first on the third string until I reach the A which I play with my second finger. It may not be 'conventional' classic fingering but it works for me and I did say that I leaned towards playing it melodic style. The reason I marked it a 5P is because it was the simplest way I could indicate the position of the left hand when playing it that way.....Steve.

I also like these Oriental-themed pieces, especially on banjo.  The idea is silly and the music rarely has much in common with the music of the named geographic locations, but that doesn't mean the music is not enjoyable.  I have questions about the triplet runs you've mentioned.  I'm trying them as you suggested and all is well until I reach the third triplet. The first triplet is ITM (, + ..) on strings 3, 4 and 2.  No problem. Then comes TMI (+ .. .) on strings 3, 1 and 2. No problem. But now the last triplet is marked as being played at frets 6, 0 and 7.  That would be strings 2, 5 and 1. In isolation that would start with the index and be like this: ITM (. + .. ) and there's my problem. The second triplet ends with an index stoke and the third triplet begins with an index stroke. It's not a challenge at slow speed but I'd rather avoid consecutive strokes with the same finger at rapid speed. I can get the same triplet by playing F on the 1st string starting with the middle finger, getting G on the open 5th string with the thumb and ending with A on fret 7 on the first string using either the middle or index. I also tried TMT or TIT, getting the A on the 5th string fretted, also at 7 but I found this awkward. My first question is : When you play the third triplet what right hand fingers are you using? Maybe there's another way I am not seeing.

My next question is about the 5P indication. What position is this? The first triplet is at fret 7, the second at fret 5 and the third at fret 6. So why is there a 5P position indication for the entire measure?  Again, I may be missing something. Maybe what is meant here is that the lowest fret in the measure is fret 5. Is that right?

I *think* I understand. I think you are saying you do not use the middle finger until you reach the first string at fret 7. Yup, that works without ever repeating a finger.  I was also using "melodic technique" but not reserving the middle until the end. I *knew* there had to be a better way. Thanks!

Steve Harrison said:

Hi Jody, I play the triplets using first and thumb beginning with the first on the third string until I reach the A which I play with my second finger. It may not be 'conventional' classic fingering but it works for me and I did say that I leaned towards playing it melodic style. The reason I marked it a 5P is because it was the simplest way I could indicate the position of the left hand when playing it that way.....Steve.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service