I have just received another batch of BMGs from my friend in Germany, Michael Reichenbach. This time he has "almost" completed 1960 and with a promise of others for 1961 too !

I have been amazed just how fast the John Field BMG LIBRARY has filled up, and the generosty of people who have loaned them. Getting very early magazines is more challenging, but if you see any gaps that you can fill by either making scans or loaning the magazines (to be returned quickly and safely) to me please email me at:  thereallyniceman@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you again Michael.

ps. I have also just been informed another parcel of BMGs is due to arrive from the USA :-))

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I forgot to say that we are missing APRIL 1960 to complete that whole year, if anyone has a copy please.

Ian

these BMG  magazines are an amazing travel in the past ; it 's difficult for me sometimes to translate but it could answer to some questions  ' bout CB

Yes Marc they are amazing to read from times when when Morley is writing articles and Ossman is touring the UK!

Really amazing! I would have loved to have seen and hear them play live.

Joe Morley is my favorite compositor  ; he has what we call in French a " don " , le " don de la mélodie "

many tunes for CB  and all   very beautiful

I also like his technique. At the turn of the 20th century he anticipated techniques that emerged in the bluegrass banjo field many decades later.  For instance thumb and index alternating to simulate a plectrum, especially on the first string when staccato effect is wanted and playing successive notes each on a different string, mixing open strings with closed strings on the middle frets when legato effect is wanted, in other words the so-called "melodic" technique popularized by Bill Keith and Tony Trischka. 

Whenever I look at the notation for a Morley piece and compare the right and left hand indications with what I would have chosen to do in the absence of these indications there is close to 100% agreement. He had a nice balance between "flow" and "crunch" if you know what I mean.

Marc, is this "don" word related to donner, to give?  I think you are saying he had a special *gift*.  Do I understand that correctly?

marc dalmasso said:

Joe Morley is my favorite compositor  ; he has what we call in French a " don " , le " don de la mélodie "

many tunes for CB  and all   very beautiful

Don?...   Is Don:  Mafia: Godfather?   The Godfather of Melody?

I know zero French despite study at school, I know  slightly more English, a little Latin and some German, usually involving beer  eg. zwei Bier bitte :-)

Marc, where are you????

yes Jody  ,a " don " is a gift ; but  , relating to JM  , i would like to explain ,  the word is abstract  ,  a gift given by God , for instance ,    " le don de la mélodie "  ,  mélody comes automaticly in JM '  head , he has a " don "

Thanks Marc for the explanation.. forget my Sicilian interpretation ;-)

Now for another "bier"

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought it meant.

marc dalmasso said:

yes Jody  ,a " don " is a gift ; but  , relating to JM  , i would like to explain ,  the word is abstract  ,  a gift given by God , for instance ,    " le don de la mélodie "  ,  mélody comes automaticly in JM '  head , he has a " don "

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service