Classic Banjo (2,665)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

My Filipino Princess (1899)..John Raymond Hubbell

J. R. Hubbell was a prolific composer of American popular music at the beginning of the 20th. century. This cakewalk is one of his earliest…

Started by Steve Harrison

4 Jul 9, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

UK Classic Banjo Rally 3rd September 2016

Backwell UK Banjo Rally      3rd  September 2016 The Southwest Regional Banjo Rally will be held on Saturday September 3rd. at Backwell W.…

Started by thereallyniceman

0 Jul 8, 2016

S.S. Stewart fretboard lengths

I have two S.S. Stewart banjos. Both are Special Thoroughbreds. One has a fretboard length of 19 3/4" and the other is 19". Both have 22 fr…

Started by Richard Katz

9 Jul 8, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

Stuttering Jasper (1899)...Robert Cohn

This is a fairly straightforward early cakewalk that's I've given the banjo treatment. It has a pleasant melody and isn't too hard on the f…

0 Jul 5, 2016

Horace Weston, W. P. Dabney, Sweeney, et al.

Here’s a short but fascinating and I think extremely pertinent article by Wendell Phillips Dabney (1865-1952), who was an African-American…

Started by F. Chris Ware

9 Jun 30, 2016
Reply by Jody Stecher

Billiken Rag (1918)..E. J. Stark.

The Billiken was designed by American illustrator Florence Pretz in 1908 and was manufactured and sold as a lucky charm. It's also the masc…

0 Jun 30, 2016

A Georgia Barn Dance (1909)..Kerry Mills.

This a good tune for banjo and one written by Mills that I'd not heard before. It's a lively cakewalk with a very folksy sound to it and pl…

4 Jun 29, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

String et al suggestions

Hello again I have just acquired a Goldtone MM150 open back banjo which has a white lady tone ring. It's currently set up with steel strin…

Started by Eric Womersley

16 Jun 26, 2016
Reply by Steve Harrison

Kyrene (An Oriental Intermezzo 1903) ..Etilmon Justus Stark.

I was unable to find a score for this so had to work from a midi transcript. It's an interesting composition with plenty of variety however…

0 Jun 25, 2016

The Darktown Dandy (1898)...Joseph W. Lerman

This is an early 'folk' cakewalk and similar in style to some of the tunes that can be found in the early banjo tutors. It's very well suit…

3 Jun 19, 2016
Reply by carrie horgan

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service