Wolverine Blues (1922)...Ferdinand (Jelly Roll) Morton

This is my second Morton arrangement, it was mentioned by Marc as one of his favourites so I thought I'd see what I could do with it.

I couldn't get hold of a piano score so I ripped the notes out of a midi and worked with that, to get it to fit the banjo, I had to transpose into F from Bb.  It's a typical Morton cross over tune between ragtime and jazz and doesn't sound too bad on banjo. The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool! Thanks Steve! Guy Van Duser does a great version of WB on the guitar. I wish there was a decent video of him doing so...there is one but it is of poor quality.

Of course, this means you're on a "Michigan" theme (Yellow and Blue are the colors of Michigan State University and they are called The Michigan State Wolverines...).

That Van Eps guy recorded another "Michigan" tune..."I want to go back to Michigan" ("I wish I was in Michigan" on this Little Wonder recording) written by Irving Berlin and famously sung by Judy Garland in the movie "Easter Parade" .

Clip from Easter Parade...

Hi Marc, I've a few more Morton tunes to try, I'm a bit undecided as to how they'd sound on banjo. It'll be case of suck it and see!. I knew nothing about Michigan so I hit Google and read up on the history. I see that it's Known as the Wolverine State, maybe they should adopt Wolverine Blues as their official State anthem!...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Cool! Thanks Steve! Guy Van Duser does a great version of WB on the guitar. I wish there was a decent video of him doing so...there is one but it is of poor quality.

Of course, this means you're on a "Michigan" theme (Yellow and Blue are the colors of Michigan State University and they are called The Michigan State Wolverines...).

That Van Eps guy recorded another "Michigan" tune..."I want to go back to Michigan" ("I wish I was in Michigan" on this Little Wonder recording) written by Irving Berlin and famously sung by Judy Garland in the movie "Easter Parade" .

Clip from Easter Parade...

Horace Craddy used to play the WB, but his arrangement of the tune seems to have disappeared, perhaps Mike Redman may have a copy?

Thanks Richard, Mikes already been in touch and is going to see if he has a copy, I'd like to see Horace's version....Steve.

Richard William Ineson said:

Horace Craddy used to play the WB, but his arrangement of the tune seems to have disappeared, perhaps Mike Redman may have a copy?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service