Western Life (1906)..March and Two-Step..George Linus Cobb

This is a catchy 6/8 march by Cobb. I've done two arrangements, one in G and the other in C. The G version is easier to play, the C version is more of a challenge but has a better trio using an octave shift on the repeat. The scores and midi are in the library...Steve

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And what a great bit of cover art! You often see this one in compilations of Sheet Music art.

I just finished Tabbing out a fun little 6/8 march called, "Josselyn's 6-8 March". Not difficult and mostly 7th fret and lower (one 17th fret harmonic). See attached for MIDI (which includes a guitar part). I'll post the dots (original is in A notation) and TAB, etc., soon. 

JOSSELYN’S 6-8 MARCH

Attachments:

What a Great March !!

I bet that sounds great on banjo. The midi Dalek voice lets it down as a bit, but does not stop it being a superb piece. Will you have a C version available?

Thank you.

Hi Marc, what a great march, I think the banjo was designed especially for playing 6/8 marches, I can't think of any that didn't come up to the mark....Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

And what a great bit of cover art! You often see this one in compilations of Sheet Music art.

I just finished Tabbing out a fun little 6/8 march called, "Josselyn's 6-8 March". Not difficult and mostly 7th fret and lower (one 17th fret harmonic). See attached for MIDI (which includes a guitar part). I'll post the dots (original is in A notation) and TAB, etc., soon. 

JOSSELYN’S 6-8 MARCH

Yes, already have it transposed to C notation for posting here. I suppose I could find a better MIDI voice somewhere...but this is what comes with TablEdit.

For some reason I've been finding a lot of banjo SM by J.H. Jennings lately. He was a Providence, Rhode Island banjo teacher and published quite a few pieces in the 1880s-19teens. Almost all of his stuff is on the "less difficult" end of the spectrum and rarely reaches beyond the 7-9 fret positions.

Steve, I agree that the 6/8 stuff seems to just pop out of the banjo. I like your arrangement of "Western Life"!

Thanks Marc, I've been playing through both arrangements today and the G version is by far the easiest to get the fingers around...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Yes, already have it transposed to C notation for posting here. I suppose I could find a better MIDI voice somewhere...but this is what comes with TablEdit.

For some reason I've been finding a lot of banjo SM by J.H. Jennings lately. He was a Providence, Rhode Island banjo teacher and published quite a few pieces in the 1880s-19teens. Almost all of his stuff is on the "less difficult" end of the spectrum and rarely reaches beyond the 7-9 fret positions.

Steve, I agree that the 6/8 stuff seems to just pop out of the banjo. I like your arrangement of "Western Life"!

Oddly, almost all of the TAB I've been doing lately is "raised bass" (eBEG#A/gDGBD). Coincidence, I'm sure.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service