The Yankee Hustler (1902)..Hon.Eugene E. Schmitz, mayor of San Francisco.

The  story behind the composer of this tune is more remarkable than the tune itself.

Schmitz was Mayor of San Francisco at the time of the great earth quake. His eventual demise is a story of political corruption, extortion, graft and eventual imprisonment. It's a wonder he had time to compose anything!

http://downfalldictionary.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/eugene-edward-schm...

This link will take you to the whole sorry tale.

Having said that, it's not a bad march and lends itself well to banjo with a couple of nice bass solos. This was the only published tune I could find by Schmitz, I suppose he hadn't much time to compose anything else, too busy breaking rocks!

The score and midi are in the library...Steve.

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve : You are producing arrangements faster than a speeding locomotive.

In  the context of Schmitz' corrupt administration, the title is self-referencing and the subtitle should more appropriately have been  " A Tribute to American Graft".

Hi Shawn, well said, it reads more like the script from a  gangster B movie. I could imagine James Cagney playing Schmitz.

I'm a man that likes to keep busy, I always have an arrangement  underway on my desktop and whenever I have a spare few minutes between doing all the family stuff and chasing around after the grand kids, I get a bit more done. I rarely get the chance to do one straight off.  I'm not one to sit on my backside gawping at the TV.....Steve. 

Shawn McSweeny said:

Steve : You are producing arrangements faster than a speeding locomotive.

In  the context of Schmitz' corrupt administration, the title is self-referencing and the subtitle should more appropriately have been  " A Tribute to American Graft".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service