This is another rare ragtime tune ready for a new life. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Russel_Robinson

This link will tell you a bit more about the composer, he's someone I'd not come across until now. It's a good tune and the score and midi are in the library....Steve.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, he wrote "Margie" and "Palesteena", so he's right up there on my list of favorites!

Another one well done. Thanks Steve!

Thanks Marc..I'll have to have a look at some of his other compositions. I've got a few more aviation related rags on my new 'to do' list as you expressed an interest in the subject. Too much good music and not enough time unfortunately...Steve.
Trapdoor2 said:

Well, he wrote "Margie" and "Palesteena", so he's right up there on my list of favorites!

Another one well done. Thanks Steve!

I think I have only one aviation related piece arraigned for banjo, "NC-4 March". I can't remember if I've tabbed it out or not...

That is a superb piece of Ragtime, and I too, had not heard of J. Russel Robinson.

He seems a nice guy and has the look of George Formby, but his suit sure needs a press :-)

Classic Oriental Foxtrot song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wh8CCbxjAY

This is a good instrumental version by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band. I've tried Googling for the sheet music but with no luck apart from an offer on ebay.. I'd give it a try for banjo if I could get hold of a copy...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Classic Oriental Foxtrot song...

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if I had a copy of it in my stash. I haven't looked at my "non-banjo" collection of sheet music in quite a while. I know I have "When Rebecca Came Back From Mecca" (which is in a similar vein) and a couple of other OF songs. The sheet probably wouldn't sound anything like the Original Dixieland Jazz Band's version (lovely Klezmerish stuff there)...probably more like the Frank Crumit I posted.

Cheers Marc..let me know if you've anything else that may be worth trying...Steve.

Trapdoor2 said:

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if I had a copy of it in my stash. I haven't looked at my "non-banjo" collection of sheet music in quite a while. I know I have "When Rebecca Came Back From Mecca" (which is in a similar vein) and a couple of other OF songs. The sheet probably wouldn't sound anything like the Original Dixieland Jazz Band's version (lovely Klezmerish stuff there)...probably more like the Frank Crumit I posted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by thereallyniceman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service